POKER TOURNAMENT RULES QUESTIONS & DISCUSSIONS > Poker TDA Rules & Procedures Questions, General

Dealer says its 300 more to you

<< < (2/7) > >>

Motobaka72:
Thanks for taking the time to point me to the rule.

I'm aware of the rule. Its just that some clients say that a dealer should not announce how much more to call, but I can't find documentation on it.

BillM16:
The TDA Rules and Recommended Procedures are meant to facilitate orderly games that are friendly, accurate, and timely. 

Rule #49, in part, says: "It is the caller’s responsibility to determine the correct amount of an opponent’s bet before calling, regardless of what is stated by others."

It recognizes that others, including the dealer, might attempt to help the caller with information that may or may not be accurate.

Recommended Procedure #12 encourages dealers to announce the bet as action proceeds around the table.  Clearly, the intent is to facilitate accurate game play.

Your question asks whether or not it is acceptable for a dealer to help the caller determine the amount required to call versus simply stating the total bet amount, thus leaving the required math exercise to the caller.  As you note, some of your clients think that the dealer shouldn't help with the math. 

That seems a bit silly to me.  Do these clients think that an accurate and timely amount to call is some sort of arcane secret advantage not to be freely shared?

Motobaka72:

--- Quote from: BillM16 on May 07, 2021, 06:12:12 AM ---
That seems a bit silly to me.  Do these clients think that an accurate and timely amount to call is some sort of arcane secret advantage not to be freely shared?

--- End quote ---

Its certainly seems that way.
It quite comon where I'm from for people in the industry to frown upon a dealer helping with the math (arcane secret).

:)

BillM16:
It is always important for the dealer to provide helpful information in a manner that avoids influencing action.  Obviously, it is inappropriate for a dealer to say: "It is only one small chip to make the call."

There can be concerns of psychological factors like the power of suggestion and cognitive bias, either real of perceived.  For example, there have been many studies supporting the notion that lower prices ending in .99 sell better than a one cent higher price.  Others show that by first anchoring a larger or smaller number it will often influence a subsequent decision.  This can come into play in your situation.

By definition, the total amount raised is more than a previous amount called.  As in your case, the amount to make the call is smaller than the total amount raised.  So, the "silly client" is perhaps arguing that a dealer who states the larger total amount raised is likely to produce different action by the caller than when the dealer speaks of the smaller amount to call.  The raiser might want the opponent to fold to the larger number and is afraid of a call given the smaller number.

The end result seems to be that the silly client gave the opponent more information by objecting to the dealers help.

Motobaka72:
If I may, I would like to extend a question with a kind of similar matter.

Flop
Albert bets 500
Bernard raises to 2,500
Charly thinks for a while and then asks the dealer what happened.

Is the dealer supposed to tell Charly? Chips are in the correct place and everything is cristal clear. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version