Author Topic: Color Down Single Oversize Chip  (Read 1082 times)

Dave Miller

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
  • Lead dealer / rules guru for World Free Poker
    • Dave MIller Gaming
Color Down Single Oversize Chip
« on: March 10, 2024, 05:53:21 PM »
I couldn't find a rule or procedure for this, but I think there should be.

At the start of any hand, if a player has a single oversize chip, or two chips of a size that can make the action unclear, the dealer should color it down at the first opportunity - before it's that player's turn to act. At least in poker rooms where the dealers work from track and color up pots during the regular action. I.E. The dealer has the chips to do it without asking a player.

I make this suggestion because I work from a rack in my pub league, and too often I've run into the situation where the player puts his last chip in, and assumes it's all in since it was all his chips - or mumbles something forcing me to ask for clarification.

For example, the blinds are 300/600 and a player has a single 1K chip, or two 500 chips, and nothing else. Breaking down the chips to one 500 and five 100, would make silent action obvious when it's his turn.

Otherwise, asking for a clarification effectively gives the player time to gauge reactions and change their intention.

In this scenario the difference is relatively insignificant. But what if the player was down to a single 5k chip?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2024, 05:54:40 PM by Dave Miller »
Superstitions are silly, childish, irrational rituals, born out of fear of the unknown.
But how much does it cost to knock on wood?

Nick C

• http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
Re: Color Down Single Oversize Chip
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2024, 03:15:01 AM »
Hello, Dave

On your single chip situation the oversize chip rule applies. An example would be for the dealer to make the proper change in turn when possible, and preferably from the pot.
Example: Player facing a 100 bet while only having a 500 chip...as the dealer, I would give the 400 change back to the calling player before the action continues. If there is not enough in the pot to make change, make change from your rack and then proceed.

It has been my experience that leaving the oversize chip in front of the player without changing it, can cause confusion especially when there are multiple players in the hand.

The only other mention is if the player initiates the bet after the flop by tossing his chip into the pot, the 500 chip will be the bet unless he verbally declares a lesser amount.

Dave Miller

• Lead dealer / rules guru for World Free Poker
    • Dave MIller Gaming
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2024, 03:12:20 PM »
You may have missed my point:

Otherwise, asking for a clarification effectively gives the player time to gauge reactions and change their intention.

I try to avoid situations were I might need to clarify a mumbled verbal action.
Superstitions are silly, childish, irrational rituals, born out of fear of the unknown.
But how much does it cost to knock on wood?

Nick C

• http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2024, 07:01:37 PM »
I may have missed the point of your question.

If a player tosses his 500 chip when facing a 100 bet...it is a call.
My answer was directed to the dealer making change immediately instead of leaving the 500 in the betting area. I suggest making change as you go along because there aretimes when multiple rases take place and you can forget which player is in for the properamount.

Of course, after the flop initiating a bet with your single 500 chip, is the amount of the bet.