Author Topic: Can the TD be curious?  (Read 5003 times)

mateuslp

• TDA Member & Active Poster
Can the TD be curious?
« on: May 01, 2020, 01:10:18 PM »
Not being curious for no reason, but here is a situation I imagined:
After some time thinking, players asking for time and you running the clock down to 1 second, the player mucks his card.
For some reason, maybe knowing the player behaviour, or having a guess, can the TD ask the dealer to hold the cards, and privately see them, to check if the player was really thinking, or just burning time with a dead lost hand?
Enlighten me on what you would do :)
Modify message

Max D

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
Re: Can the TD be curious?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2020, 03:48:21 PM »
I do not see a scenario where a TD would ask to see a hand "privately".  I would argue to use the rules and any player with disruptive behavior can be talked to, warned and penailized if needed. 
Remember a TD has rules #1, 69, 70 and 71 for disruptive players.
Max D
Less talking, more dealing.

BillM16

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2020, 07:30:53 AM »
The 2019 Rules relating to clock are as follows.  Clearly, unduly calling for time is a violation that is subject to penalty. The TD would make such decisions and rulings based on the action and behavior of players without looking at their cards.

Rule #29 - Calling for Clock

Players should act in a timely manner to maintain a reasonable pace of the game. If in TD’s judgement reasonable time has passed, he or she may call the clock or approve a clock request by any player in the event. (... details clipped ...) TDs may adjust the time allowed and take other steps to fit the game and stop persistent delays. See also Rules 2 and 70.

Rule #2 Players Responsibilities
 ... call for a clock when warranted ... practice proper etiquette.

Rule #70: Etiquette Violations
Etiquette violations are subject to enforcement actions in Rule 71. Examples include but are not limited to: persistent delay of the game ...

Nick C

• http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2020, 08:32:37 PM »
I don't see the player's hesitation as anything that could be questioned. If he or she was within the timeframe allowed I say they did nothing wrong. Making a player squirm in their seat, wondering if the opponent is going to call his bluff is part of the game. If you want to change a rule...I always thought this was a good one to consider. One minute is too long to wait. If every player took one minute to act on every round...the dealer wouldn't be able to complete one complete hand in 30 minutes at the table!