TDA POKER TOURNAMENT RULES & RECOMMENDED PROCEDURES > Official Poker TDA Tournament Rules, Latest Version

Can anyone explain why TDA Rule #16 about All-in at showdown defies regular deal

(1/6) > >>

Nick C:
TDA Rule #16 Face Up For All-Ins.
Why do the TDA rules insist that all cards be tabled simultaneously at showdown when any player is all-in? Dealer training...101 states that the side pots are to be awarded in the reverse order that they are created. Example. The last side pot created by the players with the most chips at the start of the hand will be contesting the last side pot created...so why would we want to see any other players cards who was all-in with less, possibly on an earlier betting round? I already looked at the addendum. I see no logical reason.

Steff0111:
Perhaps to avoid mucking the cards when a better hand is shown?!

Nick C:
Steff0111
 Yes, Steff...that is exactly my point. If an opposing player has gone all-in and you and another player are still betting, a side-pot will be created. At the showdown, the dealer will ask to see the hands of the players contesting the side pot first...correct? After the side pot winner is determined, the all-in player will reveal his or her hand. The TDA rule, as written, may cause the winner of the side pot to muck his hand if the all-in player happens to have a better hand.
The TDA Rule #16 goes against logic as far as I can tell. I'm just wondering why? I understand that all cards must be shown whenever there is an all-in player, however, I believe the rule should be rewritten as not to create the possibility of the rightful winner of any side pot to prematurely muck their hand.

BillM16:

--- Quote from: Nick C on February 07, 2020, 02:44:50 AM ---I understand that all cards must be shown whenever there is an all-in player, however, I believe the rule should be rewritten as not to create the possibility of the rightful winner of any side pot to prematurely muck their hand.

--- End quote ---

2019 TDA RULE #16: Face Up for All-Ins
All hands will be tabled without delay once a player is all-in and all betting action by all other players in the hand is complete. No player who is either all-in or has called all betting action may muck his or her hand without tabling. All hands in both the main and side pot(s) must be tabled and are live. See Illustration Addendum.

2019 TDA RULE #13 Tabling Cards & Killing Winning Hand
C: Dealers cannot kill a properly tabled hand that was obviously the winner.

Clearly, the rule is written so that a winning hand cannot be killed by an errant player or an improperly trained dealer.  Awarding pots in the correct order is another matter not covered by any TDA Rule or Recommended Procedure.

Nick C:
Thank you, Bill...I understand the procedure but the rule can only cause confusion. It goes against every showdown procedure for all-ins that I've ever heard of or taught or learned when I went to poker dealing school many years ago. This TDA rule can only create a situation that could induce a winning hand to be mucked by mistake. Make a rule that demands the all-in can never muck and MUST show his or her hand..however, it should be shown when the pot they are contesting is being decided. That is the only way that makes any sense at all.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version