Author Topic: Check or not  (Read 3384 times)

Ash

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
Check or not
« on: January 08, 2020, 03:12:52 PM »
Hi all
Post flop, head's up
The dealer sees a gesture of player A as a check, so the dealer says check, then player B checks.
The dealer is about to expose the turn card when player A says "i didn't check" and bets
The floor is called
Can we validate the bet or is it a compulsory check for player A?

BillM16

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
Re: Check or not
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2020, 04:48:17 PM »
Hi Ash,

TDA Rule #3:  Official Terminology and Gestures
Official betting terms are simple, unmistakable, time-honored declarations like bet, raise, call, fold, check, all-in, complete, and pot (pot-limit only). Regional terms may also meet this test. Also, players must use gestures with caution when facing action; tapping the table is a check. It is the responsibility of players to make their intentions clear: using non-standard terms or gestures is at player’s risk and may result in a ruling other than what the player intended. See also Rules 2 & 42.

Was the dealer absolutely certain that Player A tapped the table?  Or, did the dealer say something like: "I thought Player A checked?" Did other players at the table see Player A tap the table?  Does Player A have a reputation for nervously tapping the table, keeping beat with music on their ear buds, has a physical ailment?

Player A wasn't facing a bet and action was heads up.  Without clear evidence to the contrary, I'd rule that Player A didn't check and is allowed to bet.