Author Topic: Dealer open folded cards  (Read 5222 times)

Heiko0912

• TDA Member
Dealer open folded cards
« on: September 10, 2018, 06:09:37 AM »
Hello to everybody from Germany!
On a NLH Tournament something stupid happened.
The River card is dealt, Player are Heads-Up.
Player A bets, Player B called. No Player all-in.
Player A tabled his hand and shows two Pairs.
Player B looks in his cards, then looks to the board, whispers silently (nobody heard it) and throw his cards in the direction of the muck. The Dealer stop the cards, look to Player B and then tabled the hand. Player B didn’t saw that he had a flush.
I don’t know, what the hell the dealer thought of, but I gave the pot to Player A because he tabled his hand in a correct way. I don’t  punish Player A, because the dealer makes a mistake.
What is your decision?
Excuse my English writing.
Best regards.

Boris

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
  • International Poker dealer (EU)
Re: Dealer open folded cards
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2018, 06:59:00 AM »
Well, I see multiple things to discuss here.

Considering Player B's hand has not been killed (cards have been identified) and have been faced up (no matter how), the hand should be live.

Sidestory
I know a situation happened in Paris in February on a cash game table.
(Uncommon betting pattern from the beginning of the hand)
River
Player C bet
Player D call
C show
(now timestretch Matrix mode)
D throw his cards face down towards the dealer who just removed the cut card from the bottom of the deck and throw it on the table.
D cards and cut card collide in the air, D cards turn face up on the table... He has the NUTS !
Pot was awarded to B

Yes, the dealer made a wrong call by facing up the cards, but to me (and I know we all are not on the same page on this) you can't alter a judgement just because your staff made a mistake. If you do, that means you are doing some kind of commercial gesture (like offering a drink to a customer who got pushed by a waiter) and on a tournament we must stick close to 100% equity no matter what.

Also, I really should have ask to the dealer once he got out from the table, what he was thinking about, not to have an argument but to understand if he got confused, or it was a deliberate call.

Anyway great case, thank you !

Dave Miller

• Lead dealer / rules guru for World Free Poker
    • Dave MIller Gaming
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2018, 07:03:58 AM »
I can’t think of a single scenario where the rules would support the dealer’s decision to turn player B’s hand over.

On the contrary, his action violates the “one person to a hand” rule which essentially would kill player B’s hand.

On a side note, what WAS the dealer thinking???
Superstitions are silly, childish, irrational rituals, born out of fear of the unknown.
But how much does it cost to knock on wood?

Heiko0912

• TDA Member
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 06:48:02 PM »
No other ideas for ruling this case???

Nick C

• http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 06:26:57 PM »
I actually replied to this yesterday and for some reason, it's missing. I agree with Boris: "Considering Player B's hand has not been killed (cards have been identified) and have been faced up (no matter how), the hand should be live."

The dealer needs to be schooled on this one.

I would not consider the dealer as a player in the mentioned "one player to a hand."

Bottom line: Player B should have been awarded the pot.

BillM16

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 06:33:27 PM »
I actually replied to this yesterday and for some reason, it's missing.
Hey Nick,

You're not losing your mind ... see:
Heiko0912,

Wow...that's a bad situation. I understand your reasoning but I believe the pot should have been awarded to the best hand. The dealer had no right to expose the discarded hand, however as long as both players were in for all bets and the discarded hand was identified with certainty I would have to disagree with your decision.

Nick C

• http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2018, 07:09:56 PM »
Thanks, Bill...funny how that happened ???

BillM16

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2018, 07:12:24 PM »
Thanks, Bill...funny how that happened ???

The OP was posted in two forums.