Author Topic: Button moved twice  (Read 3802 times)

Ash

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
Button moved twice
« on: July 03, 2018, 04:26:18 PM »
Hi all

I have never seen this case but i was wondering what to do

A player moves the button dealer (to help the dealer), so does the dealer who didn't see it was already moved.
At that point nobody noticed it was moved twice.
Substantial action occurs when someone points out the mistake in the blinds. So the game can't be cancelled.

But for the next game, is it possible to move the button backward to make up the mistake and manage all players will pay the correct blinds, or the button continues to move as it should be without mistake?

Nick C

• http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
Re: Button moved twice
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2018, 06:07:52 PM »
Hi, Ash,

That's a good question. I believe it would be the right move to back up the button to its proper position as if no error had occurred. Two hands later, ! guess I would not force the same players who posted blinds to post again. I know you didn't get into too many technicalities of the hand but I think the number of players at the deal could have an effect on my answer. For example, three players in the hand might not call for any correction.

The other option does not seem practical and I doubt it would be too well received by the players.

I hope this helps with your decision. Not exactly sure of an existing TDA rule that would cover this but that's how I would have ruled.
 I based my answer on the idea of not allowing any player to be deprived of the button or any player being allowed to skip his blind on any clockwise progression around the table.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 06:17:44 PM by Nick C »

BillM16

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2018, 05:43:29 PM »
Hi Ash,

The TDA Rules do not provide a solution to this problem.  However, Robert's Rules of Poker (RRoP) version 11 does:

IRREGULARITIES

1.     In button games, if it is discovered that the button was placed incorrectly on the previous hand, the button and blinds will be corrected for the new hand in a manner that gives every player one chance for each position on the round (if possible).

Nick C

• http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2018, 09:12:55 AM »
Thanks, Bill...I think my answer would comply with Robert's Rules, correct?