Author Topic: Player looks at wrong hand  (Read 4840 times)

GreggPath

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
Player looks at wrong hand
« on: April 13, 2018, 09:08:35 AM »
So, this is similar to another discussion we're having right now, but this actually happened last night and I can't find a good rule that applies...

While dealing, the dealer tossed a player's card somewhere between the player (Alex) and the guy next to him (Bob). Bob thought the card was his so he looked at it. Deal was immediately stopped. Question at that point was is it a misdeal or does it fall under the exposed card rule. I ruled that since it was partially the dealer's fault for not tossing the card to the player, that it should be considered an exposed card and dealing should continue with Alex receiving the would-be burn card in place of the "exposed" card (which was shown to everyone). Some disagreed, saying it should be a misdeal. (I should note that neither Alex nor Bob were a blind so we're not talking about the first or second dealt card). The only other rule I can think of that could have some bearing is the one-player-to-a-hand rule in Rule #2, Player Responsibilities.

What say you?

Dave Miller

• Lead dealer / rules guru for World Free Poker
    • Dave MIller Gaming
Re: Player looks at wrong hand
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 10:37:55 AM »
Misdeal.

Consider something similar (which happened to me last night): As I'm coming around to deal the second card, I notice a player is holding two cards, and the player next to him has none.

In your situation, you stopped as soon as the player looked at the wrong card. But are you sure? What if he brought the two cards together before looking? What if he merely brought them together, and you stopped him before he looked?

Are you sure which is the 'wrong' card?

While you could come to different conclusions in these differing scenarios, you must have consistent rules.

Therefore, all examples should be a misdeal.
Superstitions are silly, childish, irrational rituals, born out of fear of the unknown.
But how much does it cost to knock on wood?

GreggPath

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 10:42:43 AM »
Misdeal.

Consider something similar (which happened to me last night): As I'm coming around to deal the second card, I notice a player is holding two cards, and the player next to him has none.

In your situation, you stopped as soon as the player looked at the wrong card. But are you sure? What if he brought the two cards together before looking? What if he merely brought them together, and you stopped him before he looked?

Are you sure which is the 'wrong' card?

While you could come to different conclusions in these differing scenarios, you must have consistent rules.

Therefore, all examples should be a misdeal.

Thanks for your input, Dave. In this situation, it was the first dealt card so there's no question which is the wrong card. Would you rule differently in this situation? I do agree that if there is a right card and wrong card involved, it is a misdeal because often you can not tell with absolute certainty which was which. But if that's not possible due to the situation, I think it could be ruled to be an exposed card.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 10:44:56 AM by GreggPath »

Dave Miller

• Lead dealer / rules guru for World Free Poker
    • Dave MIller Gaming
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 11:39:41 AM »
First card dealt? Or first to those players?

Well, even if it was the first card dealt, if you rule it as exposed, a re-deal is proper. Rule 35-A-6.

But i assume you meant first to that player. I don't think it changes anything.

The exposed card rule is intended for occasions when a card is exposed by the dealer, either thru clumsy handling, or catching a corner on the felt, or hitting something, etc. I.E. The card has become exposed due to unfortunate circumstances, but not due to a player's mishandling of the card. Once a card has landed and settled unexposed, if a player later exposes the card, they have to live with it.

The word 'misdeal' means a mistake when dealing, which is what happened, even though the mistake was made by the player. This situation is more consistent with a player getting an extra card. And technically, that's exactly what happened. He was holding a card that did not belong to him. If the error wasn't discovered, he'd end up with an extra card.

And since the extra card was discovered before significant action, it's a misdeal.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 11:41:24 AM by Dave Miller »
Superstitions are silly, childish, irrational rituals, born out of fear of the unknown.
But how much does it cost to knock on wood?

Nick C

• http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2018, 04:39:19 PM »
Not sure of a specific set of rules where I read this but, this is what I tried to apply; If a card is flashed or accidentally grabbed by the wrong player an automatic misdeal would be enforced as long as no player had received his complete hand. So...in hold'em if any player received both of his down cards before the mishap, it was NOT ruled a misdeal and the exposed card would be replaced and the deal would continue.
I just went back and corrected a mistake from my original reply. I'm sorry for any confusion it might have caused.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 06:21:09 PM by Nick C »

WSOPMcGee

• The R.O.P.E.
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2018, 01:38:19 AM »
Misdeal.

Things to consider:

1. Who exposed the card? = Player
2. Do all players have a complete hand? = No
3. Has there been significant action? = No
4. Did all players receive their proper card? = No

Ruling an exposed card and continue dealing is not the worst ruling, but it's not the best ruling either.
@wsopmcgee on Twitter

Nick C

• http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2018, 09:28:03 AM »
Thomas,

Don't you think a misdeal would be inappropriate if a player exposes his own card?

You wrote: Things to consider

1. Who exposed the card? = Player What if the dealer exposes the card? And what is the difference between the dealer and the player?
2. Do all players have a complete hand? = No My ruling is based on any player being dealt a complete starting hand.
3. Has there been significant action? = No There should be no action at this point...correct?
4. Did all players receive their proper card? = No If they did...how do you rule?

I still contend that my decision would be based on when the card was accidentally looked at by the wrong player. By that I mean, was it the first or second card dealt to that player. If it was the first card dealt (where no player received their complete starting hand, bring the cards back and redeal. If any player had received his complete starting hand (both downcards) the card in question should be replaced.