Author Topic: Collusion/soft play  (Read 3148 times)

Heiko0912

• TDA Member
Collusion/soft play
« on: March 20, 2018, 05:30:07 AM »
Hello from Germany.

MTT, Heads up. Player A bets on the River and says to B "10 10 not good"

Player B fold his cards. Player A shows J J

Is this binding to penalty?

Whats your opinion?

BillM16

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
Re: Collusion/soft play
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 08:30:10 AM »
Hello Subway66 from Oregon, USA,

Welcome to the forum.

When you said "Heads up" I'll assume that you do not mean these are the last two players in the tournament.  Otherwise, it would not be soft play.  So, it must be heads up as the last two players still in this hand.

TDA Rules for 2017 has several rules in the Etiquette & Penalties that should make it pretty clear that soft play (#69) and discussing the content of live hands (#67) are subject warning, penalties, and even disqualification (#71). 

Some may argue that there is no rule against telling an opponent that a particular hand holding is no good - whether it is in truth or not.  But, IMO, that is a weak argument as clearly this is an unethical play.   Game ethos is very important and it is clear that this exchange of information is not in the best interest of the game or other players still in the tournament.

Without more information about this particular offending player, my inclination would be to issue a warning while making it clear that further penalties could be forthcoming if warranted.

Max D

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
Re: Collusion/soft play
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 09:16:02 AM »
Just like Bill said "Without more information about this particular offending player, my inclination would be to issue a warning while making it clear that further penalties could be forthcoming if warranted." 

It is a gray area and the actual situation is really important here to gauge what the response should be.   As for revealing a hand (being true or not) during play I think there are organizations that do prohibit it, at that point you would defer to the "house" rule and act accordingly.

Max
Max D
Less talking, more dealing.