Author Topic: Showdown  (Read 4414 times)

Stuart Murray

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
Showdown
« on: May 10, 2010, 03:32:47 PM »
I was asked last week about this item by a colleague and seeing as there has been little activity on the forum I thought I'd air it to see what resultant replies are:

After winning a pot a player may not show just one card. If the player shows one cards then the other must be shown.

I was asked about this the other night and could not give a definitive answer.
Can anyone clarify why this is so.

I have already gave a robust answer to the question but would be interested to see others technical reasoning on this item.

Stuart

pokerfish

• TDA Founding Member
    • cardplayercruises.com
Re: Showdown
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 04:35:44 PM »
Show one show both is not a rule. It may be used by the TD to keep the game moving and stop the gamesmanship. Using only one card generally is a form of needing. I just don't see why people need to show card(s) ever unless being paid for it. There is a no TDA rule for it. Some TDs use it.... As  TD I would ask a player not to show cards and subject them to tabling the entire hand if it's done repeatedly. If they only show one card to half the table, that's different. Then you mush show both cards to everyone since we don't know what they showed. i am sure there is no limit to ways we can slow the game down....
sigh
Jan Fisher
TDA - Board of Directors
http://www.cardplayercruises.com

Nick C

• http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
Re: Showdown
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 05:43:46 PM »
That would be almost impossible to stop. If I understand the question, the winner is showing one card while the pot is being pushed to him. It happens all the time. How do you stop a player from showing a card when any player at the table could request to see the complete hand if it were called, or have no right to see any card if it weren't. I know players that show one for a number of reasons. They might show a card that represents the nuts to establish that when they are in a hand they have a powerful hand. They might be using it to set-up a bluff at a later time. I don't always like it, but there are times that I really appreciate when a player shows me that I made the right move by folding. Interesting, but pretty hard to stop. This is all under the assumption that the showdown is in progress and all betting is complete.

Stuart, thanks for getting something going, and Jan thanks for your participation.

Nick C