Author Topic: Rule 37  (Read 8829 times)

DutchTD076

• TDA Member & Active Poster
Rule 37
« on: December 15, 2017, 12:12:26 PM »
Hi all,

I’ve got another question. I’m concluding from the last sentence of rule 37 that you’re hand is dead when you (anyone except button) find out that you have too few cards after SA. Is that correct?

Rule 37: Button with Too Few Cards
A player on the button dealt too few cards should announce it immediately. Missing button cards may
be replaced even after substantial action if permitted for the game type. However, if the button acts on a hand with too few cards (by check or bet), the hand is dead.

Dave Miller

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
  • Lead dealer / rules guru for World Free Poker
    • Dave MIller Gaming
Re: Rule 37
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 09:21:59 PM »
Yes, that’s true.

Why the exception for the button? Because we know that the top card on the stub is the button’s second card. It’s a very common error to stop dealing before dealing that last card.

If someone else discovers a missing card, how can you fix it? So his hand is dead. Period.

Similarly, it’s a common error to attempt to give the small blind an extra card which should have been the burn for the flop. In that case that card is just returned to the stub to be used as the burn.
Superstitions are silly, childish, irrational rituals, born out of fear of the unknown.
But how much does it cost to knock on wood?

Nick C

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
    • http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2017, 05:23:37 PM »
Hi, Dutch,

I guess the message here is to look at your cards as soon as they're dealt...if you wait until SA, the rule states your hand is dead.

Not sure how it might effect head to head (two handed), when the SB is on the button. I'll have to give that one a little more thought.

DutchTD076

• TDA Member & Active Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 05:07:11 PM »
Hey guys,

Thanks for answering, rule is clear now.