Author Topic: Deaf Players  (Read 4550 times)

GreggPath

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
Deaf Players
« on: November 02, 2017, 12:51:38 PM »
Hi guys... we recently had a deaf/mute player join our home game. He is luckily an experienced poker player so he's good at, for example, declaring a raise when he's throwing out an oversized chip. But I was wondering if any of the TDs here have had any experience with deaf/mute players and how they can be accommodated in way that is fair to the player and the other players.

Nick C

• http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
Re: Deaf Players
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 01:51:03 PM »
Hi Gregg, The only thing I can think of is to position him in the four or five-seat so everyone can clearly see him, and it would probably help having him directly across from the dealer. The dealer might assist by using clear hand jesters as to whose turn it is to act. That's all I've got. :)

MikeB

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 05:10:00 PM »
Hi Gregg:
TDA Rule #8 was actually proposed by Landon Blackhall at the 2011 TDA Summit. He was representing a group of deaf poker players from Australia. The attendees voted to keep the language simple so that any reasonable accommodation can be made when possible. As to exactly what type of accommodation would be most appreciated, obviously follow requests from your players.

But you may also want to reach out to the fine folks at Deaf Poker Australia and get some ideas from them:
http://www.deafpoker.com.au/dpa-championship/

Thanks for the great question!

Terence Bertault

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2017, 08:10:31 PM »
Hi guys,

I ve got a deaf and mute player as a regular when I worked in Reunion Island.

He was a very good player and a great guy.

When he wanted to raise he took a chip in his hand and put a finger to the air and when he wanted to call he took a chip in his hand and put his finger to the ground.

I have briefed all my dealers obvious and we never had a problem with him or a litigation.

I have briefed all my regular players that if one day I have a litigation with one of his action, I will be very tolerant !
They all understood that.

Friendly regards !  :)

Dave Miller

• Lead dealer / rules guru for World Free Poker
    • Dave MIller Gaming
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 12:32:41 PM »
Great responses! Seems like the only special procedures to accommodate,  is to merely use common sense.

That's my plan too.

I have a deaf guy in my poker league. Great guy. Understands the game very well, and generally follows the action and knows the blind levels better than other players.

The only thing I have done special for him is, if a player bets or calls using an oversize chip, I'll be diligent about breaking the chip down so the chips in front of that player is the correct bet, making it easy for the deaf guy to see how much was bet, without asking. It has since become a habit for me. I'll break down those oversize bets, even if that deaf player isn't even playing that night! Turns out that doing that makes things easier for novice players too.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 12:34:01 PM by Dave Miller »
Superstitions are silly, childish, irrational rituals, born out of fear of the unknown.
But how much does it cost to knock on wood?

Terence Bertault

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 01:31:11 PM »
Oh sorry I did not specify that point.

He was a very good lips reader so when a player used an oversize chip, he always looked at my dealer who was repeating to him the action of the player using this oversize chip.

I think he can t understand the amount but just the basic action " call " or " raise " ... I was telling me that when he understood " raise " he was always taking the chip value to make his decision.

GreggPath

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2017, 11:19:52 AM »
Thanks for all the advice! I especially like making sure the player knows whether an over-sized chip is a raise or call. The one player we have that knows the deaf player does try to motion to him to let him know, but I like the idea of breaking down the chip immediately.