Author Topic: Dealer button in wrong seat  (Read 4105 times)

mateuslp

• TDA Member & Active Poster
Dealer button in wrong seat
« on: August 24, 2017, 01:31:22 PM »
Assume 2 instances where 1) the dealer button stays in the same seat for 2 hands in a row. The mistake is realized after substantial action has occurred. This way a player pays the big blind twice.
Situation 2, the button moves forward twice, so that one player BB is skipped. Is it a correct solution tô move the button backwards, and the two times forward só that every player post the BB in that round?

GreggPath

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
Re: Dealer button in wrong seat
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 03:10:55 PM »
Assume 2 instances where 1) the dealer button stays in the same seat for 2 hands in a row. The mistake is realized after substantial action has occurred. This way a player pays the big blind twice.
Situation 2, the button moves forward twice, so that one player BB is skipped. Is it a correct solution tô move the button backwards, and the two times forward só that every player post the BB in that round?

I'm basing my response on 2015 rules so if it's changed for 2017, I apologize. Anyways, rule 34-D, "Once substantial action occurs a misdeal cannot be declared; the hand must proceed," so my interpretation is your forget about the fact that the button is in the wrong position and continue to play as if it's correct. Next hand, button moves one to the left of the "wrong" button. I can't find any other rule that says otherwise.

BillM16

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
Re: Dealer button in wrong seat
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 04:09:17 PM »

I'm basing my response on 2015 rules so if it's changed for 2017, I apologize. Anyways, rule 34-D, "Once substantial action occurs a misdeal cannot be declared; the hand must proceed," so my interpretation is your forget about the fact that the button is in the wrong position and continue to play as if it's correct. Next hand, button moves one to the left of the "wrong" button. I can't find any other rule that says otherwise.

The TDA Rules are not intended to be a complete set of rules.  Often omitted are rules considered to be common knowledge by TDA members who have chosen which rules are to be published.  One must look elsewhere for those rules.  Robert's Rules of Poker (RROP) is one source.

From RROP v11 in the IRREGULARITIES section:
1.     In button games, if it is discovered that the button was placed incorrectly on the previous hand, the button and blinds will be corrected for the new hand in a manner that gives every player one chance for each position on the round (if possible).

Regards,
B~