Author Topic: Player A, B, C, etc.  (Read 13319 times)

BillM16

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
Player A, B, C, etc.
« on: June 07, 2016, 10:24:49 AM »
I recommend that we adopt Alice, Bob, Charlie, Dave, Erin, Frank, George, Harry, Ingrid, and Jane as the (up to) ten players at the table in the illustrations.  These are commonly used placeholder names used in game theory, physics, cryptography, etc., and are easier to read and follow when used consistently.  The names should be used in alphabetical order corresponding to the order of action.

For example, currently:  2015 Illustration on Rule 43 reads:

Example 1: NLHE, Blinds 100-200. Post-flop, A opens with a bet of 600. B raises 1000 for total of 1600. C re-raises 2000 for total of 3600. If D wants to raise, he must at least raise the “largest bet or raise of the current round”, which is C’s raise of 2000. So D must re-raise at least 2000 more for a total of 5600. Note that D’s minimum raise is not 3600 (C’s total bet), but only 2000, the additional raise action that C added.

The recommendation would alter this in 2017 too:

Example 1: NLHE, Blinds 100-200. Post-flop, Alice opens with a bet of 600. Bob raises 1000 for total of 1600. Charlie re-raises 2000 for total of 3600. If Dave wants to raise, he must at least raise the “largest bet or raise of the current round”, which is Charlie’s raise of 2000. So Dave must re-raise at least 2000 more for a total of 5600. Note that Dave’s minimum raise is not 3600 (Charlie’s total bet), but only 2000, the additional raise action that Charlie added.

Regards,
B~  (a.k.a. Bill  :))
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 10:32:17 AM by BillM16 »

Dave Miller

• Lead dealer / rules guru for World Free Poker
    • Dave MIller Gaming
Re: Player A, B, C, etc.
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2016, 11:09:02 AM »
I like that idea.

Of course, I'm not the guy who will be doing the editing. And I have a feeling that's gonna be a major PITA...
Superstitions are silly, childish, irrational rituals, born out of fear of the unknown.
But how much does it cost to knock on wood?

Nick C

• http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2016, 12:44:39 PM »
BillM16,

Funny, I suggested that years ago, but it was not alphabetically, which is a great idea. I will say that I messed up my illustration the first time I used names instead of Players A, B & C etc....needless to say, it did not work at that time. I do like the idea, though. Let's try it.

Boris

• International Poker dealer (EU)
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2016, 04:33:00 AM »
Hello folks,

This idea is interesting however putting names in situations description could involve some (small) emotional issues.
I know it can be weird but a ruling system should cover all eventualities.

Edit : Additionally, this could add some confusion with precedent situations.
May I ask what the value added using the name system ? This is a real question.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 04:37:04 AM by Boris Mauboussin »

Dave Miller

• Lead dealer / rules guru for World Free Poker
    • Dave MIller Gaming
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2016, 07:05:19 PM »
I think the primary value is that it's slightly easier to keep track of who is who.

But, as someone with a name that is very likely to be the example player name, I can certainly see your point about the potential emotional implications - and agree that it probably should be avoided.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 07:06:43 PM by Dave Miller »
Superstitions are silly, childish, irrational rituals, born out of fear of the unknown.
But how much does it cost to knock on wood?

Nick C

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2016, 07:52:08 PM »
The names could simply be in alphabetical order...not necessary to use only Alice first...how about Adam, or Arthur, or Arron, or Arnold. The point is, I believe it will be much easier to follow the action. Easier than Player A & Player B...or Player 1 and Player 2 etc.

I can see where telling a story, using names, would be more interesting and easier to follow. I think I'll try it next time the opportunity arises.

Max D

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2016, 08:28:21 AM »
Would be great, makes it simpler to keep following who's who in a scenario.
Max D
Less talking, more dealing.

Nick C

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2016, 02:23:01 PM »
Max,

Can not express how good it makes me feel whenever you agree with me. ;) Mainly because I respect your opinion and anyone who agrees with me deserves special mention! ;D

Max D

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2016, 05:39:37 PM »
Thanks Nick :), and it is also nice to see a topic where everybody seems to agree  :o
Max D

Brian Vickers

• Poker Manager
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2017, 12:48:40 PM »
Sorry to bump an old topic, but if we're gonna pick names, let's use some famous poker players names for levity:

Antonio (Esfandiari)
Bobby (Baldwin or Bellande)
Chris (Moneymaker)
Daniel (Negreanu)
Eric (Lindgren)
Freddy (Deeb)
Gus (Hanson)
Hamid (Dastmalchi)
Isuldur1 (remember, this is just for fun)
Johnny (Moss or Chan)

Keep going?

Nick C

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2017, 01:40:17 PM »
Hey Brian...I like it.

Max D

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2017, 08:51:20 AM »
Looks good.
Max D

BillM16

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2017, 11:18:28 AM »
Sorry to bump an old topic, but if we're gonna pick names, let's use some famous poker players names for levity:

Antonio (Esfandiari)
Bobby (Baldwin or Bellande)
Chris (Moneymaker)
Daniel (Negreanu)
Eric (Lindgren)
Freddy (Deeb)
Gus (Hanson)
Hamid (Dastmalchi)
Isuldur1 (remember, this is just for fun)
Johnny (Moss or Chan)

Keep going?

That sounds great!  Then we could also use their caricatures in the smartphone animations for the illustrations.