Author Topic: When exactly can the button receive 2 consecutive cards?  (Read 6876 times)

MikeB

• Administrator
  • TDA Member & Veteran Poster
When exactly can the button receive 2 consecutive cards?
« on: June 28, 2016, 01:38:21 PM »
Should 2015 Rule 34-B be clarified to specify on what conditions the button may receive 2 consecutive cards on the deal?

This issue is the subject of the following thread:
http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?topic=1298.msg11321#msg11321

Dave Miller

• Lead dealer / rules guru for World Free Poker
    • Dave MIller Gaming
Re: When exactly can the button receive 2 consecutive cards?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 03:05:56 PM »
I think it would be more appropriate to just eliminate the rule.

I've exposed the button's first card on more than one occasion, requiring the player to get two consecutive cards. I never even thought there might be an issue with that.
Superstitions are silly, childish, irrational rituals, born out of fear of the unknown.
But how much does it cost to knock on wood?

Max D

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 03:08:39 PM »
34-B sound more like a clarification than a rule, I am inclined to agree with Dave.  Maybe it should move to the back as an example?
Max D
Less talking, more dealing.

GreggPath

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 04:09:09 PM »
As the person who was confused by the rule in the referenced thread, I would vote to eliminate the rule. I had never even heard of the old rule that said you couldn't receive two consecutive cards. I believe the rule creates more confusion rather than it clarifies things.

Nick C

• http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 08:56:33 PM »
Mike,

If we're going to keep the rule, which is fine with me, the only time it would apply is when the button's first down card is exposed during the deal. Skipping the button on the first card would cause the wrong cards to be dealt to the remaining players, so that would be unacceptable for "proper card." Keep it or bring it back to the way it used to be.

Why does the existing rule call for a misdeal when the dealer exposes the first or second card dealt, yet the third, forth fifth sixth, etc. calls for a continued deal, with the exposed card being replaced by the "burn?"

I also remember dealing hold'em when it wasn't a misdeal if two cards were exposed. They used to replace the first with the burn and the second with the second card from the bottom of the deck. The argument was: it created fits when multiple players had received their "proper card" only to have them taken back for a redeal. Especially a full 10 handed game of Omaha. Your dealing, you expose the fifth card dealt, then you deal another thirty cards and expose another...misdeal...why? Just saying. ;D