Author Topic: TDA Rule 34-B  (Read 6035 times)

GreggPath

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
TDA Rule 34-B
« on: June 26, 2016, 04:33:43 PM »
Can someone explain this rule? Is this saying that if the button was not given a first down card in the beginning of the deal, he can be dealt two at the end instead?

Dealing Rules
34: Misdeals
A: Misdeals include but are not necessarily limited to: 1) 2 or more boxed cards on the initial deal; 2)
first card dealt to the wrong seat; 3) cards dealt to a seat not entitled to a hand; 4) a seat entitled to a
hand is dealt out; 5) In stud, if any of the first 2 down cards are exposed by dealer error; 6) In flop
games, if either of the first 2 cards dealt off the deck or any other 2 downcards are exposed by dealer
error. House standards apply for draw games (ex: lowball).
B: Players may be dealt 2 consecutive cards on the button.

Nick C

• http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
Re: TDA Rule 34-B
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 05:27:45 PM »
Gregg,

Years ago there used to be a rule on the books that called for a misdeal because two cards could not be dealt in tandem (succession) to the same player. This would occur if the first down card dealt to the button was exposed accidently by the dealer. This was a misdeal!

In the normal progression of a deal, this would have the dealer continue dealing and when he reached the button, he would deal the second card off the top, as usual, and then replace the exposed card with the very next card that would have been the burn if no mistake were made. This was NOT acceptable in the old rules, but now it is.

Somewhere along the evolution of new rules, this was changed and as far as I know is accepted. So...30 years ago we had a misdeal if the dealer exposed either the first or second card off the deck, or the first down card to the button. Today, exposing one of the first two cards off the deck still calls for a misdeal. However, the new rules allow the deal to continue if the first down card to the button is exposed. I hope I've explained it so you can understand the rule.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 05:34:52 PM by Nick C »

BillM16

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 06:14:54 PM »
Can someone explain this rule? Is this saying that if the button was not given a first down card in the beginning of the deal, he can be dealt two at the end instead?

Dealing Rules
34: Misdeals
A: Misdeals include but are not necessarily limited to: 1) 2 or more boxed cards on the initial deal; 2)
first card dealt to the wrong seat; 3) cards dealt to a seat not entitled to a hand; 4) a seat entitled to a
hand is dealt out; 5) In stud, if any of the first 2 down cards are exposed by dealer error; 6) In flop
games, if either of the first 2 cards dealt off the deck or any other 2 downcards are exposed by dealer
error. House standards apply for draw games (ex: lowball).
B: Players may be dealt 2 consecutive cards on the button.

Hi Gregg,

To answer your second question: If the button was not given a first down card in the correct order, it would be a misdeal.  Skipping the button in the beginning cannot be resolved by dealing two at the end.  As Nick said, only if the first down card dealt to the button was exposed, would this allow the dealing to proceed.  In that case, the button would receive two consecutive cards at the end.

Regards,
B~

GreggPath

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2016, 07:21:15 PM »
Make sense.. thanks!

Nick C

• http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2016, 07:28:15 PM »
Gregg,

Bottom line, I don't know why the original rule was ever changed. I never objected to a misdeal when the first card dealt to the button was exposed. Mainly because it was very rare and no player had received his complete hand before a misdeal were called.

I did not answer your second question, but as Bill mentioned, a misdeal would occur if the button was entitled to a hand, and was skipped. These situations are so much easier when you "play out" the scenario as opposed to trying to follow a discussion. Good questions.