Author Topic: Clarifying bet rules where a player puts out all remaining chips silently  (Read 4923 times)

MikeB

• Administrator
  • TDA Member & Veteran Poster
Do betting rules need clarification for situations where all of a player's remaining chips are put out silently? See interesting discussion here:
http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?topic=1272.0

Dave Miller

• Lead dealer / rules guru for World Free Poker
    • Dave MIller Gaming
 My knee jerk response is that it should not be needed. On the other hand, it can't hurt.
Superstitions are silly, childish, irrational rituals, born out of fear of the unknown.
But how much does it cost to knock on wood?

Nick C

• http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
Mike,

I agree with dave, that's why I'm having a problem with some of the responses. I'm trying to figure where the confusion is coming from. Perhaps we can tweak some of the wording. I'll give it a little more thought. :)

chet

What the hell!! 

Any player who pushes ALL of his/her remaining chips forward, so as to be considered a "bet", is making a physical statement of "all-in".  Does it make any difference whether the amount of the chips are less than, equal to or more than the amount the player is facing, I think not?  If the player doesn't know the proper procedure to vocalize his/her action, since it is obviously unclear, then that player needs to learn a lesson. 

IMHO, there are already too damn many rules just for particular situations that arise rather infrequently. 

I feel sorry for players who have to learn lessons the hard way, but if we have to promulgate a rule for every possible situation, pretty soon the rule book will be totally unworkable, if it isn't already.

Chet

Dave Miller

• Lead dealer / rules guru for World Free Poker
    • Dave MIller Gaming
Chet makes a valid point: Sometimes players need to learn hard, expensive lessons.

And that's for reading hands, reading players, reading bets, as well as reading the rules!

Is there any estimate/survey of how many players have even read the rules? I'd bet that it's a rather low percentage for Robert's and an even lower percentage for TDA.

But Chet also very clearly points out that even those who are tasked with enforcing the rules can't always make the right call. Therefore I change my earlier comment and suggest that it's a VERY good idea for this rule to be included in the next version.
Superstitions are silly, childish, irrational rituals, born out of fear of the unknown.
But how much does it cost to knock on wood?