Author Topic: Limit Poker. Heads up to start street. Can they agree to go all-in?  (Read 10229 times)

Brian Vickers

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
  • Poker Manager
Two players at start of 4th street.
Players have put in 7 bets a piece so far with pretty deep stacks (shorter of two stacks had somewhere between 8-12 bets left).
I'm observing action.
Players look at me and ask if they can just agree to go all-in.
I confirm with them both their intent to go all-in and get an audible yes from both.
I instruct dealer to place all-in buttons in front of both players before they turn over their hands.

Thoughts?

Would you have them put out each bet and/or say the word raise another 8-12 times each (or whatever it took to get all-in)?
Does your room have a specific rule in place for all-in agreements when heads up?

chet

Re: Limit Poker. Heads up to start street. Can they agree to go all-in?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 03:30:53 PM »
Brian:

In limit poker, isn't there a rule that caps the betting action with something like a bet and 3 or 4 raises per street?

I have never heard of players having 7 bets already in and it keeps going?

Chet

Nick C

• http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 03:59:00 PM »
Actually, as long as the action is heads up, in a cash game, I see nothing wrong with what they did. I'm sure you won't find that in a limit rule book but, as long as they agree why not?

Brian Vickers

• Poker Manager
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 10:41:36 AM »
Brian:

In limit poker, isn't there a rule that caps the betting action with something like a bet and 3 or 4 raises per street?

I have never heard of players having 7 bets already in and it keeps going?

Chet

In most rooms that spread limit games, the cap is 3 or 4 raises; however if the action gets to heads up prior to being capped then the cap is removed.

Nick C

• http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 12:41:28 PM »
Brian,
 That's not entirely true. Some card rooms will only allow unlimited raises if that betting street begins head to head. There are situations when two players remain yet further raises are not allowed. Limit $10 and $20  on the turn, 4 players remain, Player A bets 20 Player B raises to $40 Player C folds, Player D raises to $60, Player A raises to $80 (the cap with a 3 raise limit)...Player B folds, leaving 2 players...Back to Player D (action now head to head). Player D raises to $100, but he can not. Player A can not be put in a position where it will cost him more than the $80 cap. He raised knowing that there would be no further raising allowed.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 12:42:58 PM by Nick C »