Author Topic: "I bet a million" and other "gross overbet" comments  (Read 10439 times)

Brian Vickers

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
  • Poker Manager
"I bet a million" and other "gross overbet" comments
« on: April 22, 2015, 08:29:51 AM »
No Limit Hold'em.  Player has $500 in front of him.  Turn card comes out.  Player, in turn, says "I bet a million!"

What is his bet?

Is multi-way vs. heads up relevant?

Edit: Is cash game vs. tournament relevant?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 01:00:44 PM by Brian Vickers »

Nick C

• http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
Re: "I bet a million" and other "gross overbet" comments
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 09:40:51 AM »
Brian: I'd put him all-in...no question about it.

MikeB

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 11:46:33 PM »
No Limit Hold'em.  Player has $500 in front of him.  Turn card comes out.  Player, in turn, says "I bet a million!"

What is his bet?

Is multi-way vs. heads up relevant?

Edit: Is cash game vs. tournament relevant?

Brian:

As soon as the guy says "I bet", I see him as committed to making a bet. When he further declares "a million", then I'd hold him to going all-in here. There can be alot of loose talk around the table, but not when it comes to betting...

Multi-way vs. H-U: don't think it matters, nor whether he's opening or facing a bet.

Cash game vs. tourney: For me it gets to the nature of betting, so it wouldn't generally matter; he's voluntarily chosen to sit at a no-limit table.

The guy may think he's joking and not to be taken seriously, but just the opposite is true: betting discipline is the foundation of game integrity.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 12:07:52 AM by MikeB »

BillM16

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 07:36:30 AM »
The guy may think he's joking and not to be taken seriously, but just the opposite is true: betting discipline is the foundation of game integrity.

He may be using the psychological heuristic known as anchoring and adjustment in an attempt to influence his opponents decision to call or fold.  See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anchoring

Nick C

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2015, 08:38:16 AM »
I certainly understand what everyone is saying but, I have to admit that I've been guilty of using "I call" or "I raise" on a regular basis. Not only have I used it, I've accepted it as action from players when I was dealing. Some statements are stretching it a little too much, IMO some are clear with no malicious intent.

I'd rather hear "I call" than some of the other totally unclear silent actions that we're always debating. Not trying to change any rule, just stating the obvious controversy we can get ourselves into when we try to get too picky.

MikeB

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 12:12:34 PM »

He may be using the psychological heuristic known as anchoring and adjustment in an attempt to influence his opponents decision to call or fold.  See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anchoring

Bill this deserves some sort of award: "psychological heuristic of anchoring and adjustment" :)   That may definitely be the case, he's anchoring with "I bet", then adjusting with "a million".  He might even be running the heuristic on himself unwittingly. 

Regardless of the motivation(s), would anyone not put this player all-in here?

BillM16

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2015, 07:27:20 AM »

I agree he is all-in.  Also, I'd be more likely to call if he says "all-in for a million" and more likely to fold if he says "all-in for a mere pittance."  Either way he is all-in.  (BTW MikeB: He is anchoring his opponent on a "million" with the hopes of adjusting his probabilities of a fold.)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 07:31:45 AM by BillM16 »

Brian Vickers

• Poker Manager
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2015, 02:50:17 PM »

I posed this questionwithout giving my opinion, and I'm glad to see that you guys agreed with how I have called it.  If a player announces a bet and then announces a numerical amount large enough to cover his current chip stack, I don't care if it's 100 more, 1000 more, or 1 million more, it's a bet of all-in. 

There were conflicting opinions about this at my current place of employment.  The stance that some others had taken was that he was held to a bet but still needed to state an amount due to how large the overstatement was.

WSOPMcGee

• The R.O.P.E.
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2015, 07:38:59 PM »
Brian just tell all your co-workers that we all said you're right. I'm sure that will get a better response  ;D
@wsopmcgee on Twitter

Spence

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2015, 10:28:31 AM »

I posed this questionwithout giving my opinion, and I'm glad to see that you guys agreed with how I have called it.  If a player announces a bet and then announces a numerical amount large enough to cover his current chip stack, I don't care if it's 100 more, 1000 more, or 1 million more, it's a bet of all-in. 
Exactly.  What's the difference when the effective stack is 5600 and he says I'm all-in for 5900?  He's all-in for the amount up to his total stack.  I'm more interested in someone who says I'm all in for 5200 when his stack is 5600.  Would anyone not force the whole stack in?

Nick C

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2015, 12:36:15 PM »
Good one Spence...If I were dealing I'd clarify the amount of the all-in and he might be left with 400. If someone else were dealing he might be forced to be all-in. The point is: players will be forever at the mercy of the floor unless they start doing things right. Let us know what your doing. We are constantly trying to decide how to correct these mistakes that players throw at us every day. Maybe we should start a "school" for players...they need the training more than we do! ; :D

Spence

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2015, 05:33:27 AM »
HA!  Nick you're right.
We're officially starting the Tournament Players Association!

Nick C

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2015, 06:26:37 AM »
Can I join?

Spence

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2015, 06:43:15 AM »
I think you get founder rights with that many posts under your belt  :)