POKER TOURNAMENT RULES QUESTIONS & DISCUSSIONS > Discussion of Rules by Specific Game Types

Running out of cards in a Stud deal and other Stud irregularities

<< < (3/3)

Nick C:
Ken,

Would you say that reading "possible's" is not practiced at any limit?  Are cash games treated the same as Tournament poker? When did we stop announcing four card straights and four flushes on sixth street? If so...where is it written?

While we're talking about stud. I've got another "pet peeve" :P Why have we changed the old rules for awarding odd chips? The current TDA Rule #19 Awarding Odd Chips declares that the high or low card, depending on the game being played, must be part of your best 5 card hand. Why? and When?

K-Lo:
Hi Nick:

I can't speak for cash games, I am only talking about tournament poker. It's been like that, at least, at the WSOP for many years now (e.g. as noted in their Dealer's guide) and I think many other venues continued to do the same.

The Rule #19 alternative was discussed and debated at the last summit. It was done in various different ways on different tours, and although not everyone agreed, it was decided to go with one way for consistency. At least that's how I remember it...

WSOPMcGee:

--- Quote from: Nick C on April 17, 2015, 06:37:28 AM --- The current TDA Rule #19 Awarding Odd Chips declares that the high or low card, depending on the game being played, must be part of your best 5 card hand. Why? and When?

--- End quote ---

Again one of the most overly worded rules that adds to confusing all. Not sure if it was in '11 or '13, but I think '11. Because the players wanted the 5 cards being played to matter.  ???

Nick C:
I don't agree. :( Why would anyone take the time to even consider changing the old rule? Just because, I guess.

WSOPMcGee:

--- Quote from: K-Lo on April 16, 2015, 08:59:42 PM ---but it's all random anyway...

--- End quote ---
If we could convince poker players of this, we wouldn't be burning and turning the river card in place of the true turn card when the card is prematurely exposed. We'd be shuffling the card in immediately allowing that card a chance to come back as the turn card.

That in a nutshell is why some of our rules make little logical sense and why we do what players want.  ;D

The argument is very simple - Proper Card vs Random Card.

Players want their proper card, whatever that card is. They don't want a random card, whatever that card maybe.

I used to agree with Ken, that burn cards need to stay burnt. Because it's the same logic as above, it's the proper card to be burned. It is never supposed to be in action. But using that logic as basis, you can't then say - these are the proper burn cards and can never be introduced while at the same time say to the player, I'm sorry your proper card was prematurely exposed, here.... have a random card and we'll just continue the game. The only thing I know of that works like that is Politics :)

Therefore, IMO, it is best to use fresh cards whenever possible to complete a hand without using a community card in Stud or having to reshuffle the muck in some cases in Draw games.

Oddly enough Ken, the series does not use the burn cards as fresh cards for Draw games, but it does use burn cards as fresh cards for Stud games. #SMH

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version