Author Topic: Moving the BB to balance a table  (Read 4487 times)

Max D

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
Moving the BB to balance a table
« on: October 09, 2014, 04:08:52 PM »
I understand the rule of moving the BB when balancing a table and placing him at the "worst" position on the short table.  I just want to make sure I understand what to do with the table he left.  The table he left should handle his departure like losing the BB, the UTG becomes the BB, we have a dead SB and the "old" SB becomes the Dealer?

Thanks for any comments.

Max
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 04:11:03 PM by bonobo »
Max D
Less talking, more dealing.

K-Lo

• @AskTheTD on Twitter
    • Ask the Tournament Director
Re: Moving the BB to balance a table
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 06:39:38 AM »
Before moving anyone, wait until players at the old table complete any hand that they are on, and move the button first. Then, when the button is moved, the button will be in front of a player, someone will be in position to post the small blind, and someone will be in position to post the big blind. 

Now, if you need to move someone to balance tables, take the player who is supposed to be the big blind out. The next person in line (UTG like you noted) now must post the big blind.  However, the button and small blind don't move, because they were already moved after the last hand, and they haven't started the next hand yet. 

There should be very few circumstances where you are moving someone to balance and where the old table would lose its big blind and have a dead small blind. Usually, if you try to balance tables and you think there should be a dead small blind at the old table, you are doing something wrong.

Hope that helps.
K-Lo

Max D

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 08:44:20 AM »
Thank you this is exactly what I needed, for some reason it was really confusing, but I got it now.
Max D

Brian Vickers

• Poker Manager
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 11:23:10 AM »
If there's a hand in progress, it's not the player who just paid the Big Blind.  You move whatever player is going to pay the Big Blind next so that he pays it at the new table instead (or will pay it when it gets to him that round).  Just think of it as "whoever will be posting the next Big Blind" and you should be fine.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 11:31:25 AM by Brian Vickers »

Max D

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 07:59:00 PM »
I understand that, thank you for the clarification.  The process makes sense and is "fair" to both tables and the players.
Max D