Author Topic: Discussion: Player asks a rules question in the middle of a hand... Answer it?  (Read 4474 times)

MikeB

• Administrator
  • TDA Member & Veteran Poster
What's your position regarding answering rules-related questions in the middle of a hand.

For example: Heads up on the river, Player A bets (not all in). Player B asks you "If I call A's bet, do I have the right to see his cards at showdown regardless?". Assume it's a sincere question (i.e. doesn't feel like a ruse or angle).

Do you answer:

1: Yes / No, (whatever your policy is)....

2; "you should know the rules, that's a player responsibility".

3: "we can't answer questions like that in the middle of a hand, it might affect action"

If you answer some questions but not all during the hand, what criteria do you use to decide?

Nick C

• http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
Mike,

In regards to the specific question you asked, my reply would be...yes #1.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 08:21:28 AM by Nick C »

Tristan

I like #1.
Tristan
@TristanWilberg on Twitter

K-Lo

• @AskTheTD on Twitter
    • Ask the Tournament Director
For this particular question, I would have no problem answering it yes or no.

But there are some "rules" questions that I may treat differently.  I don't want to give them an answer to any question that would amount to (or could be perceived as) telling them how they should play the hand.  If you can quote a rule directly, and it will answer the question, that is usually ok; if you need to explain your intepretation of the rule, or answering the question requires you to break down various possibilities depending on what they may or may not do, and/or on how an opponent may or may not react, I don't think that players should be entitled to that level of detail.

WSOPMcGee

• The R.O.P.E.
@wsopmcgee on Twitter

Alessandro 'Maverick' Galietta

• TDA Member & Active Poster
    • YoUPLaY GrouP
I'm agree with K-Lo
In this case i prefer #1 or better i use to explain the rule of showdown but only for a reason: the rule of showdown is ofter different in some houses but for other rules my dealers use the #3 (i.e. re-opening action)

Stuart Murray

Providing it's a general question, which is not specific to the hand in play then yes I would have no problem or real issue answering a question regarding the technical rules of poker during a hand.

So #1!