TDA POKER TOURNAMENT RULES & RECOMMENDED PROCEDURES > Official Poker TDA Tournament Rules, Latest Version

2013 TDA Rules

<< < (12/13) > >>

WSOPMcGee:

--- Quote from: Nick C on September 26, 2013, 11:48:14 AM ---Thomas,

I see no reason to go through the time and effort to change any of the TDA rules because of gender issues. Women are a big part of poker and will always belong, however, when the TDA Discussion Forum consists of over 20 to 1 male to female ratio...let's leave it the way it is.

--- End quote ---

This would take all of maybe ten seconds. All you have to do is have a program find all references to the specific word and change it. Find "word" ---> Change all to "new word" --> Done. It's that simple.

Preferably I'd like to see such references changed to Player(s). Then use they and their references just like that article Chet referenced. Excellent article, because this type of thing drives me crazy even though I hate being politically correct. But in this case politically correct is best. We're trying to include, not exclude.

WSOPMcGee:

--- Quote from: MikeB on September 25, 2013, 08:53:15 AM ---
--- Quote from: ThomasMcGee on September 25, 2013, 02:21:00 AM ---Hi Mike,

Assuming there is a 2.0 version to the literature, do you think it possible that you could remove all references to the words "His", "He", etc? For example:

--- Quote ---A player must be at his seat when the first card is dealt on the initial deal or he will have a dead hand. A player not then at his seat is dealt in, he may not look at his cards, and the hand is immediately killed after the initial deal. His blinds and antes are posted and if dealt the bring-in card in a stud-type game he will post the bring-in*. A player must be at his seat to call time. “At your seat” means within reach of your chair. This rule is not intended to condone players being out of their seats while involved in a hand. [*Note: In stud, house rules may require additional card(s) be dealt to the killed hand in certain situations.]
--- End quote ---

I realize the poker world is dominated by male participants, however if we want to attract more people to the game both male and female we need to remove this type of language that alludes to identifying players as a single gender. JMO.

--- End quote ---

Anyway, open to ideas but would like to avoid having to use "he or she", "him or her" everytime.

--- End quote ---
Hi Mike,

I completely agree with that, and completely agree with the article Chet posted. I can't stand "Whiplash Grammar". When I read it I have this vision in my head "it's guy", no "it's a girl" no... what is it? Ugh.

I don't see any reason why we can't just refer to them as "players" and then use the "they" "their" "them" in instances that are necessary for brevity. This may take all of 10 seconds to change the references... maybe 30 minutes to proof read after that. That's about all it should take. If that's too much time as Nick suggested... I'll volunteer. :)

Nick C:
Thomas,
  I made the suggestion (to get off the singular pronoun) over two years ago on this Forum. If it really bothers you that much, you should take 10 seconds and fix the singular pronoun references that you have in your own R.O.P.E. before you tackle the TDA Rules.

MikeB:

--- Quote from: Nick C on September 26, 2013, 09:02:30 PM ---Thomas,
  I made the suggestion (to get off the singular pronoun) over two years ago on this Forum.

--- End quote ---

Nick: didn't you post a link awhile back to a grammar site about how "they" can refer to a single person, something like that? Or was that Chet who posted it, any idea? Chet posted one recently but I thought you did quite awhile ago or... ?
Thanks!

WSOPMcGee:

--- Quote from: Nick C on September 26, 2013, 09:02:30 PM ---Thomas,
  I made the suggestion (to get off the singular pronoun) over two years ago on this Forum. If it really bothers you that much, you should take 10 seconds and fix the singular pronoun references that you have in your own R.O.P.E. before you tackle the TDA Rules.

--- End quote ---
I have single gender references on there?? Damn me! I'll be fixing that for sure!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version