POKER TOURNAMENT RULES QUESTIONS & DISCUSSIONS > Suggestions for new TDA rules and amendments to existing rules READ-ONLY ARCHIVES Pre-2015 Summit

What does the declaration "bet" mean when facing a bet or blind?

(1/4) > >>

MikeB:
Is it a call or a raise? Further discussion of this issue can be found in this thread:

http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?topic=1060.msg9194#msg9194

Nick C:
Mike,  I really believe that the players unclear action should be a call. Not only does the oversize chip rule make sense...he could have (and should have) said "raise" instead of  "I bet."

I really think "make your intentions clear" should be enough to justify the floors' decision. It is a good subject for discussion at the next summit, but the solution should not be too dragged out or technical. Say what you mean, or push the correct amount forward. Also, as you stated, "when a bet is unclear, it is the lesser of..."

MikeB:
Nick:

Definitely you've outlined one camp on this.

Here's another way of arriving at the same conclusion:

1: Per RRoP, bet can be either a verb (when taking initial action on a round), or a noun when referencing one's bet in "a bet, call or raise".

2: Hence, when interpreted as a noun, saying "bet" then pushing out a 5k overchip when facing a 2k bet can be seen as tantamount to saying "here's my bet" (using bet as a noun), then tossing the overchip... which of course is a call.

Will be interesting to see where the majority comes down on this.

K-Lo:
I'm on Nick's side here.

What happens if the player says "bet"... Throws 5000 chip on the table... "Two thousand".  Now what do you do?  Enforce the "must state amount of wager before the chip hits the surface rule"? Is it a verbal string bet?  Do you deem it a bet of $5k, $2k, min-raise, call?

Anyhow, I think the default should be call here.  I don't see it being that much different from "I'm in"... Throws chip...  Are we to assume the chip is the amount he's in for?  Let's not go down this path.  Personally, I think It's much easier to explain to players that they need to make their wagers 100% clear, then to allow it and have to justify the decision to other players by explaining the nuances of word usage in RROP.  

Tristan:
I like sticking to the standard of using the smaller amount when there is an unclear situation regarding betting situations. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version