LIVE CASH GAME POKER RULES DISCUSSION > Live Cash Game Rules Questions

Cash vs tournament

<< < (2/3) > >>

Nick C:
Hello, Brooks,
 I've been unable to sign-on the last few days so I didn't see your post until Today.
 I'm sure I'm going to think of more down the road because I know there are quite a few. These are allowed in cash games but not in tournaments:
 I believe that not having to post blinds in cash games when you are not at the table is one.
 Adding chips to your stack between hands, as long as it does not exceed the minimum buy-in is permissible.
 Seating is not assigned so you can pretty much sit wherever you want.
 Chip dumping is much easier because you don't have to show your hand if you don't want the pot like you do in tournament poker.
 There is no penalty for checking the nuts when last to act.
 You can request seat changes and even table changes.
 Spectators are usually allowed to sit behind a player...such as a husband playing and his wife watching.
 You can cash out and go home with all that cash before the dealings done!

I'll get back to you if I think of anything else. Not sure this is what you're looking for.

BROOKS:
Nick, I know what the differences are between cash games and tournament.

Im talking about Rules of the Game and calls you would make in certain situations. Would you make a different ruling for a tournament than you would for a cash game if it was the same situation?

What would you apply differently between a cash game our a tournament?

I have people telling me that some Rules are different for cash and tournament and I can't for the life of me see why.

Why would Out of Turn Action be treated differently in cash vs tourney?
Why would Verbal declarations be treated differently in cash vs tourney?
Why would Short All In be treated differently in cash vs tourney?

What RULES do you use for tournament that you don't use for cash.

The only one I can think of is Face Up For All Ins, That is just a tournament rule, in cash game you always have the option of mucking your hand and not showing it.

There are obvious TDA rules that wouldn't be relevant to a cash game. For instance, balancing tables, chip race, etc

Scroll through the TDA rules and see what Rules would not apply to cash
Rules in regards to betting, raising, Substantial action, out of turn, oversize chips, reopening the betting, etc
I think it all applies, except for Face up for all ins

Some rooms have chosen to only use the 30 second clock for tournament, but keep 60 seconds for cash
And I've seen some rooms have different rules for Asking to see a hand
Cash game, anyone dealt in can ask, tournament - TDA rules

Wanted to hear from some of the members here, to see if they had any differences between cash and tourney rules

Nick C:
Brooks,

Sorry I didn't answer your question. Funny that you single out the one TDA rule that I've been against forever. I agree that all hands must be shown at showdown whenever any player is all-in but I'm against turning all hands simultaneous. Whenever players are all-in following the cash game dealer procedure makes more sense to me. Side pots are often created, sometimes multiple pots, and there has always been a systematic procedure to shows cards in a specific rotation...that is: to uncover only the players' hands that are contesting the side pot they are competing for.  Example: Main pot (pot A) first side pot created (pot B) second side pot (pot C)....etc. In my example, at showdown, the dealer will ask to see the hands of the players competing for pot C...then pot B and finally, pot A. What usually happens is: any player in for the main pot or pot B that sees an opponent's better hand will fold...this is a common occurrence in cash games. Tournament poker will not allow this and I'm in complete agreement that all hands must be tabled. I am only opposed to all players turning at the same time. It serves no purpose but can easily cause confusion.

BROOKS:
^I agree

When I teach my dealers about side pots, I tell them to always instruct the players in contention for the side pot to open first, and make sure the all in doesn't open.
Sometimes that all in guy opens when we're dealing with the side pot and both side pot players muck. Then who gets it?

But alas, that is only for cash game.

The TDA rule Face Up For All Ins doesn't bother me too much, because everyone has opened. There is no risk of side pot players Mucking and having no one to award it to.

Nick C:
Brooks,
 You gave a perfectly sensible example, followed by a reason you should settle each side pot in the reverse order they were created...and then you agreed with the TDA, Why? There have been tournament players that mucked in the very situation you described. I believe all tournament players must show their hands but why is it different from cash games?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version