POKER TOURNAMENT RULES QUESTIONS & DISCUSSIONS > Poker TDA Rules & Procedures Questions, General

Dealer says its 300 more to you

<< < (6/7) > >>

Nick C:
I have dealt for many years. I always announce the proper bet amount or the amount necessary to call a bet. Why not?
Happens all the time. Action begins and there are multiple raises...whats wrong with the dealer telling the next player how much it is to call?
I founf that announcing the proper amount speeds up the game and prevents incorrect betting.

Steff0111:
@Lado
Did you read the TDA rules?

Nick C:
Motobaka72

This is a very old post but I thought I would tell you how I've always done it when I was dealing.

Six players called the 200 BB...The BB raises to 500...As the dealer, I announce RAISE! looking to the under the gun I say 300 more to call!
Raise, three hundred to call! That's it and that's the best way to handle that situation. When a player pushes all-in, that is a different situation. Never waste time counting down a bet until the bet is called.

Player pushes all-in with large stacks of chips...do not count them down unless it is requested.

Clarifying each bet amount will avoid confusion and make the hand move along smoothly.

BROOKS:
I didn't go back and read through all the old replies, but I do not agree with Nick's most recent reply.

The dealer should not be telling the player how much 'more'. They should just be stating the total bet amount.
Telling them how much more is helping them make their decision.

Same thing when a player goes all in, we don't say the amount, we just say they are all in.
Dealer announcing 'all in' to a player that isn't really paying much attention, that player might just fold, because all in sounds like a big bet. But if the dealer says 'all in for 225' or 'all in - 25 more', they are basically pointing out that it isn't much more to call.
The all in amount isn't announced until a player whose turn it is to act, asks.  For this very reason.

It's the same for raises that aren't all in. Dealer should just be announcing the total bet size. Not 'helping' the player decide that it's a 'good deal' and only "x" amount more.
It's the same reason we don't tell them how much is in the pot.
The players should be paying attention and making their decisions based off of their own observations without the dealer offering extra information.

Dave Miller:
I agree with the logic and reasoning for not counting down an all in bet.

For the record, in my bar league, we always count down every bet that isn’t obvious. But that’s primarily because our games are short stack turbo: 1,500 chips, with blinds that start at 11 minutes and get shorter as players are knocked out. We don’t have time to fart around with people trying to guess the bet amounts. Similar for going into the tank. Anyone can call clock, even the dealer. And when the clock is called, it starts to immediately, and is only 30 seconds.

Our games last about an hour or so, and we do three in an evening.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version