POKER TOURNAMENT RULES QUESTIONS & DISCUSSIONS > Poker TDA Rules & Procedures Questions, General

I call and raise.....

(1/2) > >>

Desi:
Action is with the player when he says ' I call, and I'll raise you another xx'
This is not the first time he has played in our games. I ruled it was just call as you cannot call and raise, and as he stated call first its a call. A few players were unhappy with this ruling as they thought his intentions of a raise were clear.
How do you rule?

Nick C:
Desi,
 Your call was correct. That was a "string raise" and is not allowed anywhere. The player should announce his intentions to raise first and then a call, followed by the raise would be accepted. Rules regarding methods for raising have changed but, the string raise remains a constant unacceptable way to bet. A player wishing to raise when it is his turn to act may; say "I raise"and announce how much, or push the desired amount into the betting area (or pot), in one motion. There was a time when a player in a No-limit game could say raise and continue pushing chips into the pot until his arms came to rest at his side. I was surprised recently when I saw Jack McCleland allow a player to announce a raise, put the call into the pot, and then in a separate move , push the amount of the raise into the pot. The best thing to do is know the rules wherever you play. You might be surprised at what you can, and can't do.

MikeB:

--- Quote from: Desi on June 25, 2010, 06:27:12 PM ---Action is with the player when he says ' I call, and I'll raise you another xx'
This is not the first time he has played in our games. I ruled it was just call as you cannot call and raise, and as he stated call first its a call. A few players were unhappy with this ruling as they thought his intentions of a raise were clear.
How do you rule?

--- End quote ---
His intentions were one thing, but his manner of action was completely different. Once the word "call" comes out, it's a call. Your players will appreciate your clarifying the raising procedure and they'll be more careful next time.

chet:

--- Quote from: Nick C on June 25, 2010, 06:56:16 PM ---...I was surprised recently when I saw Jack McCleland allow a player to announce a raise, put the call into the pot, and then in a separate move , push the amount of the raise into the pot...

--- End quote ---

Nick:  Under TDA Rule 30, Methods of Raising This is acceptable.  The rule says in part, "...(3) verbally declaring "raise" prior to the placement of the amount to call into the pot and then completing the action with one additional motion...."  Whether anyone thinks this is right or wrong is immaterial at this point, it is the current TDA rule. 

I agree with each of you that the correct ruling for the instance at hand is that it is a call. 

Hope this helps!

Nick C:
Chet,
 You are refering to a different post. I will respond on the correct question. Desi did the right thing, that can only be a call. Period.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version