POKER TOURNAMENT RULES QUESTIONS & DISCUSSIONS > Poker TDA Rules & Procedures Questions, General

Mucked hand

(1/3) > >>

MaxH:
Hi all,
Here was a situation at a tournament last night.
The player in the BB was short stacked and all-in but for less than the amount of the blind; three other players called creating a side-pot (all had chips left in their stacks). First two players who could have bet checked the flop and the last player to act bet. The first two players folded and the player who bet - forgetting the BB was still in - threw his cards in the muck. The TD, who was watching the action, correctly identified the two mucked cards and ruled that the hand was live as 'you can't muck an all-in hand' and (because his hand was better) awarded the entire pot to the player who had mucked. What say you?

Stuart Murray:
Your TD was correct that an all-in hand cannot be mucked, however, depending on how well mucked the cards were I personally am reluctant to retrieve cards from the muck pile unless they have been folded as the result of mis-information as-per Robert's Rules of Poker.

If it was my tables, I would need some decent reason to hunt the muck for the hand, in likelihood I would award the main pot to the BB and the side-pot to the last player but that is not certain.  It is really down to how flexible the TD is to retrieving mucked hands, your TD retrieving the hand in that situation is not unreasonable.

Regards
Stuart

MaxH:
Thanks for that, Stuart, but the hand that was retrieved was not all-in and, therefore, I cannot see why the 'cannot muck an all-in hand' rule applies. 
Hope I am making myself clear but I feel there is a case for awarding the BB the initial pot.
Best,

Stuart Murray:
no prob Max,

Yes I understand your argument, the hand must play against the all-in hand of the BB player and cannot be killed, rules such as this are to protect players from collusion, chip dumping and unethical conduct at the tables.

9.   Face Up
All cards will be turned face up once a player is all-in and all betting action is complete.

This does not apply only to the all-in hand but any hands that have reached a showdown against the all-in player.

Best Regards
Stuart

MaxH:
Thanks again.
It was the clarification that this applies to any hands that have reached showdown against the all-in player that I was unsure of.
Best,

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version