POKER TOURNAMENT RULES QUESTIONS & DISCUSSIONS > Poker TDA Rules & Procedures Questions, General

Oversized & multiple chips in addition

(1/3) > >>

Guillaume Gleize:
Hello,

Simple case but with different rules in Europe:

Player A at small blind (blinds 25-50)
All the players before him fold
Player A (with no change) throws (in silence) a single 500 chip near is 25 SB ...

- Do we consider the 25 SB as not an action from player A? (because it was a forced blind bet) ... so we apply the "oversized chip" rule #32 and consider it a CALL?
- Do we count the 25 SB chip plus the 500 chip as "multiple chips" rule #33?  So because we can't remove ANY chip and be UNDER a call ... we would apply the rule #31 and it will be a RAISE of total 525!

What about in the same kind (blinds 25-50):

Player A (in middle position) calls at 50
Player B (at the button) raises at 150
Everybody fold and turn to act is back to Player A
Player A (with no more 25 neither 100 change) throws (in silence) a single 500 chip (near is two 25 chips "call" chips) ...
- "oversized rule" rule #32? (so it's a call at 150)!
- "multiple chips" rule #33? (so it's a raise at 550)!

PS: The courage in this forum is not to be afraid of looking stupid with your own questions ... hope you will not juge me that way!

;)

Stuart Murray:
Guillaume,

Don't feel stupid, very good question.

IMO and interpretation both scenarios are deemed a call, as the single chip is a singular act of placing said chip in the pot, the chips which are already in as blinds or calls are already deemed to be in the pot so do not count to form multiple chips.

Will be interesting to see if Nick and Chet agree with my interpretation!

Stu

Nick C:
I agree with Stuart 100%. This is what the single oversized chip rule is for. I will say that most players will remove the other chips so their bet (a call) is not mistaken for a raise. If they wanted to raise, then they will learn a new lesson, they must announce a raise before the oversized chip hits the table.

Good question.
Nick C

Guillaume Gleize:
Thanks so much!

Let's advance together!

8)

GG

chet:
I have been out of town guys, sorry I did not get back earlier.

I believe that in both instances, I would be inclined to rule this type of action a call, the first time it happened, with this player.  I would also instruct the player that he/she MUST verbally state their intention when they are putting more chips in the pot than are needed.  Failure to do so in the future, MAY be considered a raise.

The point being is that you want the player to remove any ambiguity about the action.

Hope this helps

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version