POKER TOURNAMENT RULES QUESTIONS & DISCUSSIONS > Poker TDA Rules & Procedures Questions, General

1 card at the SB

<< < (2/2)

Nick C:
dogzy,
 No apology necessary. My ignorance of the abbreviations should not restrict others from using them. The only abbreviations I knew were UTG and UTG-1 etc. I prefer not to use them because I think that there are members that are new to poker and they might not understand either. I'm still learning. Thanks for the interesting topic to discuss.

edlerman:
I'd be interested to hear from somebody at the TDA as to whether in this spot it would be appropriate to deal one additional burn card before the flop in order to keep the flop as natural as possible?  We keep natural flop turns and rivers where possible as a house rule, but i'd like to know the TDA take on the situation.

Nick C:
edlerman,

I'm not the one you requested but, I'd like to give my take and then we can have some issues to discuss. My call would be that no extra burn be used. The reasoning is; with the SB already skipped no one has their "proper card." I understand exactly what you are saying, and if that was a house rule, you could justify that call. I would put it in a category of "randomization" where any unknown card will give players an equal chance to win or loose. A normal deal in a cash game will skip an absent player but, in a tournament, even when we know the player won't be at the table for the current hand, we deal him in anyway, thus changing everyones cards. Good question. I hope my explanation makes sense. I don't know of any writen rule that covers that exact situation. It would be nice to hear from one of the TDA experts.

Stuart Murray:
As per Nick, I am not a board member so cannot comment on the official line, but any experience I have had is that in the best interests of the game, the board runs from the stub as normal.

To make a rule that a card missing from the hole cards requires an extra burn card would cause more difficulties than it would solve - think of it like this a player has 3 cards thus this would therefore require no burn card for the first street which is out of the question.  The sole reason we burn cards on each street is to prevent any possibility of a player seeing the card which is coming off the deck next, the board has been irrevocably altered in both instances, there is also no saying that even if the player only has one card it may have went off the table etc so to maintain integrity only one board card should be used.

Regards
Stuart

higavin:
The reason you kill the SB and continue with the hand is, as stated above, significant action has taken place.  With that, nothing else should change in the hand, it should proceed forward from there as if nothing had happened.

This is a basic ruling in poker, cash game or tournament.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version