POKER TOURNAMENT RULES QUESTIONS & DISCUSSIONS > Discussion of Rules by Specific Game Types

Open Face Chinese Tournament rules

<< < (3/3)

Tristan:
I haven't thought about this a lot yet, but I would have to agree that it does not seem proper.

K-Lo:
Just thought I'd update this thread having played a few of these in LV during the WSOP season...

So, most of the venues are using the payout system described earlier. The reasoning behind this is that a player should not be entitled to double up through an opponent when that same opponent would not be able to win the player's chips if the player was forced to pay out all of the opponents before him and busts. 

I'm still not sure I am fully convinced of the reasons for setting the rule in such a way such that, in the example, if a player win 6 points from the first opponent, those 6 points AND the 6 points that he has been paid by the first opponent should be completed insulated from being paid out (essentially guaranteeing that the player will not be eliminated regardless of the hands of the opponents to follow). In any event, it looks like this is what is being adopted on a wider scale.

The other interesting rule "change" is that royalties between two players on the same line do not cancel each other out.  For example, if I make quads at the bottom and you also make quads at the bottom, I will still pay you a 10 point royalty for your quads if your hand beats mine, and vice-versa.  In cash games, these royalties would cancel each other out; in tournaments, presumably they do not cancel in order to speed things up. The argument is that if I make a full house and you make a flush on the bottom line, you should not get any credit for your flush as far as royalties are concerned because you have the inferior hand. I don't really like this as it changes the nature of what a "royalty" is traditionally given for (the type of hand rather than exact rank of the hand) -- we'll see if this rule gets adopted more broadly after this year but it seems like it is going that way.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version