POKER TOURNAMENT RULES QUESTIONS & DISCUSSIONS > Suggestions for New TDA Rules and amendments to existing rules for 2021 Summit

Order of the deck...

<< < (2/2)

Nick C:
Gentlemen, and ladies, too:

I suggest we do everything possible to preserve the proper card. A prematurely dealt turn should be replaced by the proper river. There is mention of the time that is wasted. That would certainly be the case if we reshuffled the turn and the remaining stub, because, there are many times after the proper river replaces the premature turn, that a bet is made and nobody calls...the hand is over.

Years ago, when the primary game was stud, we used to replace a card "off the table" with the second or third card from the bottom of the deck. This was to preserve the proper card on each following street.

We need to accept the fact that these situations only occur when mistakes are made. I suggest not changing the old rule, especially when there are more complex issues for us to deal with. (no pun intended).
 Dave, I have never heard of a reshuffle after a prematurely exposed turn card while setting the proper river off to the side? Never. If anyone has any thoughts of suggesting that, please do not.
 I don't believe that I have ever dealt the first down card in a two handed game (heads up) to the button! However, 18 years ago, I watched a tournament with head to head players and they had the big blind on the button!!! That's another story.

Dave Miller:

--- Quote from: Nick C on July 19, 2021, 01:09:14 AM ---Dave, I have never heard of a reshuffle after a prematurely exposed turn card while setting the proper river off to the side? Never. If anyone has any thoughts of suggesting that, please do not.
--- End quote ---
I think I saw it when I was a newbie player, in a deal yourself type league. (My league has trained dealers.) No. I’m not suggesting that procedure either.

--- Quote from: Nick C on July 19, 2021, 01:09:14 AM ---I don't believe that I have ever dealt the first down card in a two handed game (heads up) to the button!
--- End quote ---
Working in a small pub league, it happens. It’s very rare, but it happens. I think in my 9 years of dealing, I’ve done it less than 5 times.

--- Quote from: Nick C on July 19, 2021, 01:09:14 AM ---However, 18 years ago, I watched a tournament with head to head players and they had the big blind on the button!!! That's another story.
--- End quote ---
I can believe it. After all, you normally deal to the small blind first. And the button is always last. It often takes me a couple attempts to teach new dealers why heads up things are different.

Nick C:
Hello, Dave

Yes, I agree there are many standard old rules in poker that do go against the norm, or exceptions to the rules, you might say. When tournaments are down to the final two players at the table, or it is a head-to-head tournament, you are correct...the dealer does not deal to the small blind first because the small blind is on the button. It can cause a bit of confusion for some student dealers who are not seasoned players. I like to teach that no matter how many players, or no matter where the SB and BB are, you must always deal the first card off the deck away from the button, or to the first player clockwise to the button. It is a good time to mention that because of this head-to-head contest, the Button will act first pre-flop!

I'm confusing myself! :) Bottom line: Let's keep this part of the rules the way they have always been. Thanks for the back and forth, Dave...It's always good hearing from you, especially when we agree!

Mathieu Perchoc:
OP's point is valid, TDA rules need to be consistent.
I think we should always apply randomness.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version