Author Topic: Small blind pre-announces that he will be all-in  (Read 5613 times)

Steven

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
Small blind pre-announces that he will be all-in
« on: May 28, 2013, 10:24:41 AM »
It's midway thru a tournament and the small blind with a short but substantial stack of 5000 chips announces he will be all-in blind when the action is on him!  How would you treat this?

I'm not sure that it is a conditional statement as in rule 36, but deepening on how it was worded I guess it could be!

I guess I might treat it as action out of turn as per rule 35. Given that, it seems that the sb's statement might be binding only if the action does not change! That would be standard for any action out of turn, but I was just wondering if you might treat this situation a bit differently!

35: Action Out of Turn

Action out of turn will be binding if the action to that player has not changed. A check, call or fold does not change action. If action changes, the out of turn bet is not binding and is returned to the out of turn player who has all options including: calling, raising, or folding. An out of turn fold is binding.

46: Conditional Statements

Conditional statements regarding future action are non-standard and strongly discouraged; they may be binding and/or subject to penalty at TD’s discretion. Example: “if – then” statements such as "If you bet, then I will raise”.

Play: Other

Nick C

• http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
Re: Small blind pre-announces that he will be all-in
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 11:33:07 AM »
Steven,

Although it probably doesn't matter much, the number of players might affect a decision. An example might be 2 players in the hand and the SB makes his statement while the dealer is still dealing downcards.

Any other situation would warrant some reprimand. I would definitely look to TDA # 46- Conditional Statements, and issue a warning. If the player becomes a repeat offender, I would enforce a penalty.

Tristan

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 02:50:32 PM »
I would most likely make the amount binding if the action does not change.  His statement can, and most likely will, affect how people act on the hand.
Tristan
@TristanWilberg on Twitter

Brian Vickers

• Poker Manager
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 01:22:55 PM »
Warning or penalty (depending on repeat offense) for intentionally acting out of turn.

All-in bet bound to pot if action doesn't change.

K-Lo

• @AskTheTD on Twitter
    • Ask the Tournament Director
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 08:33:37 AM »
I think I raised a similar issue in a different thread - I am in general agreement with the previous responses.  However, are we assuming from the question that the statement was made after the initial deal?  I am wondering whether you would treat this still as an all-in action out of turn if, for example, the statement was made before the deal?  Before the shuffle?  At the end of the previous hand? 

Tristan

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 12:22:57 PM »
Usually I would make OOT action binding once the cards are out (provided action doesn't change).  What I mean by that is when the cards are delivered, once the flop comes out, once the turn card is shown, or when the river is shown.  But ultimately it depends on the player and if they are a repeat offender.  "I'm going all-in no matter what I get this hand!"  I would most likely make a statement like this binding even if the cards aren't out yet, definitely if they are a repeat offender.
Tristan
@TristanWilberg on Twitter