POKER TOURNAMENT RULES QUESTIONS & DISCUSSIONS > Non-TDA Tournament and General Poker Rules Discussion

Dealer error and procedure to correct

(1/3) > >>

Buddymax:
I need to provide a review of the action before I ask the qeustion so you know where I am coming from.
Button is in seat 9 of 9
Dealer dealt all down cards.  Bets placed and called
Dealer dealt the flop, Seat 1 checked, seat 7 bet, seat 8 and seat 9 called.
Dealer forgot about seat 1 and did not wait for seat 1 to state action and dealt the burn card and exposed the turn card as seat 1 was raising. All players in the hand saw the exposed turn card
Question - What do do?   - Is seat 1 raise action binding or can he call it back?
As TD I enforced the raise as binding, the turn card as legitimate and all other players folded.
One player not in the hand objected and stated that the turn card should have been re-shuffled into the deck, the players in seat 7,8, and 9 have an option to call the raise or fold, and then a new turn card exposed.

I reviewed the TDA rules and can find nothing that speaks to this situation.  Can anyone help?

Nick C:
Buddymax,

First of all I'd like to welcome you to the Forum. Similar questions have been kicked around on other posts, and there are conflicting responses from many. The way I see it, because there was substantial action, some will want to rule the seat 1 player's hand dead. I do not agree. Based on your description, to allow the seat 1 player's raise, I would have announced that the exposed turn card can not play. I would have replaced the exposed turn card with the "proper" river card and reshuffled the exposed turn if a river card were needed.

I realize that some circumstances are tough to describe exactly the way they occurred. My guess is, you obviously felt that the 1 seat player was acting without seeing the premature turn. I believe that no player should be allowed the right to act after knowing the identity of the next card. I don't like killing the hand, but I can not justify allowing the pre-mature turn to play.

K-Lo:
I don't see anything unusual about this situation. Clearly, the action on the flop was not complete, and the exposed turn card cannot play. Under the facts given, I would say that the raise is binding.

I cut & paste from one of my earlier posts, the generally accepted methods of dealing with prematurely dealt board cards:

--- Quote ---
The dealer burns and turns the flop cards (or the turn or river card) before the previous rounds betting is complete.

Premature flop:  Complete action, leave existing burn, flop cards get shuffled back into deck, cut, deal new flop without burning.  Continue as normal.

Premature turn:  Complete action, leave existing burns (2), burn and turn new card (what would have been river) in place of existing turn.  Continue action. Old turn card gets shuffled back into deck, cut, deal river without burning.

Premature river:  Complete action, leave existing burns (3), river card gets shuffled back into deck, cut, deal new river without burning.

--- End quote ---

Nick C:
Ken,

Based on your reply, it appears that you agree with what I wrote, correct?

K-Lo:
Yes!  :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version