Author Topic: When to stop play when another table is breaking  (Read 4140 times)

Steven

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
When to stop play when another table is breaking
« on: September 21, 2013, 03:29:50 PM »
32: Dodging Blinds
Players who intentionally dodge any blind when moving from a broken table will incur a penalty.

However, what is the TD's responsibility to stop play on active tables when he is breaking a table?
Early or middle play of the tournament I think you just let the play proceed, but late in the tournament especially when the bubble approaches, there can be some factors in play.

For instance, I saw a case last night where I think we were at maybe 4 tables, and the next table over was breaking. My table had 2 open seats with one of the open seats due to take the big blind next, and the next deal had not begun yet. Sure enough, the deal started and a short stack from the broken table mosied in and assumed that seat, allowing him to sit out 2 hands and then wait a whole orbit before paying blinds!

I don't think he was negligent and would not be penalized as per Rule 32, but do you as TD's assess the situation when breaking a table and ask the table to hold up before starting the next deal at the new table? I know the hold-up is commonly done much closer to the end especially when rebalancing, but I'm thinking that the TDA could also be cognizant of the situation a bit earlier!

Or do you think it is just a rub of the green situation and just let it play out!

Of note, do you think a savvy competitor at the existing table could in fact recognize the possible situation and call for the floor to delay the deal?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 03:42:26 PM by Steven »

Nick C

• http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
Re: When to stop play when another table is breaking
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 08:21:27 AM »
Steven,

If I can toss out a rather generic answer to your question, I would say that; if it is a problem, or becomes a problem, or is practiced on a regular basis by repeat offenders...I feel you have every right to handle the situation in the best interest of your event. Asking the TDA to address every possible scenario that can occur is not the answer.

WSOPMcGee

• The R.O.P.E.
Re: When to stop play when another table is breaking
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 01:45:29 AM »
32: Dodging Blinds
Players who intentionally dodge any blind when moving from a broken table will incur a penalty.

However, what is the TD's responsibility to stop play on active tables when he is breaking a table?
Early or middle play of the tournament I think you just let the play proceed, but late in the tournament especially when the bubble approaches, there can be some factors in play.

For instance, I saw a case last night where I think we were at maybe 4 tables, and the next table over was breaking. My table had 2 open seats with one of the open seats due to take the big blind next, and the next deal had not begun yet. Sure enough, the deal started and a short stack from the broken table mosied in and assumed that seat, allowing him to sit out 2 hands and then wait a whole orbit before paying blinds!

In BOLD the part of your post that concerns me the most. At 4 tables of a standard 10 or 9 handed game with 2 open seats means at worst your table is 7 handed. That is no reason to hold up play. In fact, you shouldn't hold up play unless a table is 5 handed when a table is breaking. At 6 handed there is no table that is 3 players shorter then any other table when a table is breaking. In the situation above there's no reason to stop play. Even worse, there's no reason a player should be allowed or forced to wait until the big blind to resume play from a broken table! They should get a hand immediately assuming the responsibilities of the seat, so long as they are not in between the small blind and the button.

To answer more of your question, should the TD be cognizant that your table has 2 open seats with 4 tables remaining in play. YES! and they hopefully were. But there's no reason to hold up play at your table in this case.
@wsopmcgee on Twitter