Author Topic: Count of Opponent's Chip Stack (New Rule 52)  (Read 4947 times)

K-Lo

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
  • @AskTheTD on Twitter
    • Ask the Tournament Director
Count of Opponent's Chip Stack (New Rule 52)
« on: August 09, 2013, 10:57:48 PM »
The revised rule currently reads:

52: Count of Opponent’s Chip Stack
Players are entitled to a reasonable estimation of opponents’ chip stacks (Rule 24). Players may only request a more precise count if facing an all- in bet. The all-in player is not required to count; if he opts not to, the dealer or floor will count it. Accepted action applies (See Rule 46).

I don't think is correct. Players can certainly request a more precise count of any wager that is being made on any given round, not only all-in. I think Dave Lamb also confirmed this at the summit.

MikeB

• Administrator
  • TDA Member & Veteran Poster
Re: Count of Opponent's Chip Stack (New Rule 52)
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 07:37:56 AM »
The revised rule currently reads:

52: Count of Opponent’s Chip Stack
Players are entitled to a reasonable estimation of opponents’ chip stacks (Rule 24). Players may only request a more precise count if facing an all- in bet. The all-in player is not required to count; if he opts not to, the dealer or floor will count it. Accepted action applies (See Rule 46).

I don't think is correct. Players can certainly request a more precise count of any wager that is being made on any given round, not only all-in. I think Dave Lamb also confirmed this at the summit.

This probably does need clarification in Version 2.0. The subject refers to chipstacks in front of the bettor not a chip wager pushed out. The only time I can look at a player across the table and ask "how much do you have there", and expect a precise count is if he bets it all in.

Something like this might be better language:

Players are entitled to a reasonable estimation of opponents’ chip stacks (Rule 24). Players may only request a more precise count of chips stacked in front of an opponent if the opponent has declared all-in. The all-in player is not required to count; if he opts not to, the dealer or floor will count it. Accepted action applies (See Rule 46).
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 08:55:52 AM by MikeB »