Author Topic: Post Summit VI chatter  (Read 26350 times)

WSOPMcGee

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
    • The R.O.P.E.
Post Summit VI chatter
« on: June 28, 2013, 01:02:55 PM »
After all the discussion at TDA Summit VI and the hard work all of us put into our jobs as TD's, a small blurb was tweeted and retweeted today by some high profile players about the TDA and it's rules:

"RT @Matthew_Waxman: @RealKidPoker Can't expect a bunch of TD poker hobbyists to grasp the intricacies of poker. Respected PRO players should be on the board."

While I don't disagree on the last part of the comment, I'm completely offended by the first comment. He denigrated us all in one sentence. I'm offended. You should be too.
@wsopmcgee on Twitter

RockyPhillips

• TDA Member & Active Poster
Re: Post Summit VI chatter
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 04:14:41 PM »
Notwithstanding the comment in question which was clearly an DN overstep (again) it is not the responsibility of the TDA to form a player's committee for the purpose of having players represented at the TDA. If you want to be heard (and you should be) form a players committee and show up.  ???

chet

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 05:25:43 PM »
RealKidPoker needs to grow up.  If I remember correctly from the 2011 Summit video he put in an appearance and had the same chance to put in his 2 cents worth as anyone else.  The TDA Board does not unilaterally make the TDA Rules.  All existing rules and any new proposed rules are brought up at the bi-annual summits and voted on by those present.  If players want to be represented, SHOW UP and state your case.  It is just a lot of whining to bring this stuff up after the summit has concluded.  Maybe the next time I get a chance to see him, if ever again, I will bring him a pacifier.

Now all that said, there may be some valid points from the player perspective that those in the TD perspective disagree with.  However, to get those points into the discussion one has to show up at the venue provided.  Failure to do so, in my opinion, nullifies any chance or claim that the TDA is not treating players fairly. 

Having been on both sides of the argument, I can understand how there may be some players who disagree with some of the TDA rules.  However, the job of the TD, as I see it, is to run events that are as fair as possible for both players and management.  It is not the job of the TD to represent one side over the other. 

Not everyone is going to be happy with every rule.  However, such is life.   If you don't like the rules, go play somewhere else that doesn't have a TDA based rule set and see what you like about it.  (TDA in the last sentence includes rules sets used by the EPT, FIDPA and any and all others.)

Chet

K-Lo

• @AskTheTD on Twitter
    • Ask the Tournament Director
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 07:56:03 PM »
After all the discussion at TDA Summit VI and the hard work all of us put into our jobs as TD's, a small blurb was tweeted and retweeted today by some high profile players about the TDA and it's rules:

"RT @Matthew_Waxman: @RealKidPoker Can't expect a bunch of TD poker hobbyists to grasp the intricacies of poker. Respected PRO players should be on the board."

While I don't disagree on the last part of the comment, I'm completely offended by the first comment. He denigrated us all in one sentence. I'm offended. You should be too.

The statement certainly comes off as insensitive and elitist.  Many of the respected TDs that attended have devoted their careers and effectively their whole lives to the "cause", promoting this game that most of us love.  And they are being judged based on their relative level of playing skill, rather than their experience in dealing with issues that arise in the management of tourneys. Some of these TDs have been in the industry for decades - are they really just "hobbyists"?  I feel extremely badly for the flack that these TDs are getting, as they never showed anything other than a desire to make the game safer and smoother for all players, new and old.

If poker is to grow and survive, everyone must realize that there are many cogs in the wheel, and they all need to work together -- pro players, semi-pro players, amateurs, TDs, floor staff, dealers, coaches, media, etc. There needs to be mutual respect, and room for compromise. While it may be true that without players there would be no game, without the contributions of all of these other individuals, the state of the game would be very different from what it is today. And in any event, there is no reason to slam an entire group of people simply because you dislike certain rules.

Whether I am a "poker hobbyist" or not, that does not mean that I care about this game any less than these critics. I paid my own way down to attend the Summit in order to be part of the process. Perhaps the players who care just as much should have done the same.

It is not the responsibility of the TDA to form a player's committee for the purpose of having players represented at the TDA. If you want to be heard (and you should be) form a players committee and show up.  ???

This.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 11:46:45 AM by K-Lo »

Brian Vickers

• Poker Manager
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 05:11:00 PM »
Same reason there is a Players Association and a separate governing board in sports as well.  Both sides have an equal stake in making sure the game is played fairly.  Players should form a committee and show up this Summer to voice opinions prior to voting on new rules or ammendments to rules.  Would probably be a good addition.

Nick C

• http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 08:27:40 PM »
Thomas, you're right, it is offensive. I guess we should just consider the source. Is he one of the "respected" PRO players that he's referring to? I doubt it. I can't understand why these unhappy pro's don't just chime in on the TDA Forum. If they're unable, or unwilling to attend a meeting, they're voices can still be heard. It costs nothing to join the TDA and it would be a perfect means for them to let us know what's on their minds.

It's funny how these few select pros have the least amount of time to recognize the efforts of the floor personnel, dealers, and other players that put up with their bullshit through the years.
The TDA Rules will be around long after they're gone. :D
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 08:31:03 PM by Nick C »

Brian Vickers

• Poker Manager
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 09:59:13 PM »
It's funny how these few select pros have the least amount of time to recognize the efforts of the floor personnel, dealers, and other players that put up with their bullshit through the years.

It can be a rather thankless job at times, you're right.