Author Topic: Betting someone elses stack.  (Read 6409 times)

Kendalizor

• TDA Member & Active Poster
Betting someone elses stack.
« on: July 14, 2013, 02:38:15 PM »
         It doesn't happen often, but I've had this come up about once or twice a year. I had player A in seat 2, player B in seat 5, player C in seat 9 in 1-2 NLHE Button in 1 seat. Player A bets 40 and Player B states "I'll put you all in".

My question is: What is this bet and is it even a legit bet?

How it went afterword: Player B shoved out enough to cover player A and C's chips though C had more. I stopped the action and asked Player B who "you" meant. Player C was contemplating and I was trying to get a count of player A's stack for player C to have an amount of bet after player B told me he meant player A's stack. I could not get player B's extra chips out of the pot before player C folded thinking he had to call the amount player B had stuck out though it was substancially less. Player A folded also.

Tristan

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
Re: Betting someone elses stack.
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 03:28:59 PM »
I would hold them to an aggressive action but leave the amount open to them as betting an opponent's stack is not a valid bet.  If they had shoved out chips before you got there, I would have bound that as their bet.
Tristan
@TristanWilberg on Twitter

chet

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 04:03:52 PM »
There is a prior discussion of this topic somewhere, but I don't have the time to look it up.  Basically, my recollection of that discussion is that the statement "I'll put you all in" is an invalid, meaningless statement.  I believe the correct action for your circumstance would have been for the dealer to stop the action immediately and require player B to clarify his action by stating a valid amount.  Had he done that, player C would not have his problem.

That said, if player B had pushed out a stack of chips prior to player C acting, I would hold B to the amount pushed out whether anyone is all in or not.  If player B had not pushed out chips prior to player C acting, I would consider player C to have acted out of turn and proceeded accordingly.

By the way, if this kind of thing is common by player B, I think you need to consider penalties for repeat offenders.

Chet

Nick C

• http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 07:45:50 PM »
Chet,

Now your talking...get the dealers involved. Stop the action, get some clarification, alert the floor for any disciplinary action for repeat offenders.

Whenever you have the opposition covered, why not just go all-in? Based on what I just wrote, I would lean in the direction of forcing the bettor to go all-in. I don't like giving options to the offending player. His bet; not valid, and confusing. It also indicates an aggressive intent...he's all-in! That ought to teach him.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 07:14:57 AM by Nick C »

Stuart Murray

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2013, 05:30:28 PM »
we allow this statement although its rarely used, and we consider it an all-in from the player, not strictly by the book, but keeps the action moving.

Stu