Author Topic: When will they stop messing with the fundamentals???  (Read 7797 times)

Nick C

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
    • http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
When will they stop messing with the fundamentals???
« on: April 14, 2013, 06:13:14 AM »
 Yesterday, I began watching the WSOP National Heads-Up-Championship on a national broadcast network. I noticed that the community cards were not placed properly on the table. I have mentioned this long ago on another post, (guess my suggestion fell on deaf ears). Why do they, (whoever they are), insist on changing the basic fundamentals of the game by altering the flop, turn and river? And why in the hell does the WSOP allow it? >:( >:(

If you haven't watched it, or did not notice what I'm talking about, I will explain my frustration and disappointment. The image of the cards that is projected on the bottom of the screen is correct; left to right. However, if you look at the table you will notice that the dealer places the flop in the center of the table and spreads the cards to his right...he then proceeds by burning and placing the turn to the left (his left) of the flop and likewise with the river? So...what we have (on the table) is an ass-backwards set of community cards. In case you don't understand what I'm describing, you might compare it to the (also incorrect) way that the major on-line poker sites used to do it.

Now, before I hear that they want the viewing public to see the cards from left to right, why don't they move the damn camera...or place the dealer in the foreground?

I don't think I'm being overly critical and I'm not trying to make something out of nothing. If I am teaching the basic fundamentals of the game to a student dealer, I advise them to; not watch the WSOP...because they do it wrong! Perhaps Thomas McGee can convince the producers of the event that the reputation of the WSOP and the fundamentals of poker are far more important than their TV audience if they can't figure the board cards if placed properly. :-\

When I approach a poker table at the showdown, I should be able to determine what cards were the flop, turn and river. If you look at the boardcards in the WSOP event...they are incorrect!

chet

Re: When will they stop messing with the fundamentals???
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 08:04:36 AM »
Nick:  I think you need to consider some realities of the time.

1.  The WSOP is the SPONSOR, not the OWNER of the "National Heads-Up Poker Championship".  While sponsors have some considerable influence, they do not get to set the rules.  The rules for this event are determined by the NBC Broadcasting network, NOT the WSOP. 

2.  Given that there was no event last year, I suspect that the WSOP Management was just more than happy to get the exposure on National TV right before the 2013 WSOP kicks off in Las Vegas.

3.  This is a "Made for TV" event, not unlike any other "reality TV show". 

4.  As my father-in-law is prone to say, "Time changes everything". 

Chet

Nick C

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 11:20:19 AM »
Chet,

I respect your opinion but, like I said, someone should step up to the plate and let NBC know that some consideration should be given before they make critical changes.

It's wrong, and I won't watch it again.

I remember (many years ago), the "Great Match Race" between two elite racehorses, Ruffian and Foolish Pleasure. The race was going to be broadcast on national television. During the preparation for the broadcast, the network decided that they should change the position of the starting gate. The reason was to bring the "action" closer to their cameras and the viewing public. The change would have also altered the finish line. Therefore The change they suggested was not acceptable to either trainer...There was a great deal of money at stake and the race was set, with or without TV coverage.

The trainer's and horsemen won...My point is: the fundamentals of the game should remain correct. There is no valid argument to defend what they are doing. I guarantee if NBC had a choice of doing it right or turning it over to ABC...they'd rethink their asinine change, and do it right.

The way I see it, the WSOP should be embarrassed for allowing such a change. :-[

« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 08:24:21 AM by Nick C »

Linda Johnson

• TDA Founding Member
  • TDA Member & Active Poster
    • Card Player Cruises
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 04:20:47 PM »
I know that when I was the studio announcer for the WPT, I insisted on the fundamentals being protected. I still remember one day the film crew wanted the dealer to do a little flip of the turn and the river before they placed the card on the table. I objected and insisted that they do it the proper way so they did. They also had the cards in order of flop, turn, and river left to right.
Linda Johnson

Nick C

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 05:24:27 PM »
Hello Linda...long time no hear from ;D grateful that you chimed in on this important subject. So what can we do, and who do we have to contact to get the fundamentals properly executed for televised productions?