Author Topic: Dealer kills both remaining hands  (Read 6734 times)

Steven

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
Dealer kills both remaining hands
« on: October 19, 2012, 02:28:41 PM »
Two players turn up at showdown and the dealer for some unbeknownst reason quickly mucks both remaining hands! The cards are irretrievable and no one is certain who the winner was! Not even the cameras! Do you chop?

Nick C

• http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
Re: Dealer kills both remaining hands
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 02:33:19 PM »
 Steven,

It sounds like the only solution to me.

Steven

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 02:49:42 PM »
Thanks, Nick! That's what I figured too!

K-Lo

• @AskTheTD on Twitter
    • Ask the Tournament Director
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 10:23:51 PM »
I really don't like chopping the pot unless there is absolutely no way I can determine what any player's holding was.  If only one hand was turned over or the contents of only one hand can be verified, I might award the pot to that player.  The other player should have protected his hand.  If both hands were tabled and there is agreement on what those hands were, but no one was certain who the winner was because part of the board was scooped up too quickly for example, then I would consider giving the cards back to the players, putting out as many cards on the board that can be agreed upon (if any), reshuffling the deck, and completing the deal of the board with random cards (in the same way as what might be done if the dealer dropped the stub and irretrievably mixed it in with the muck before a hand is completed).  

That being said, I can't picture how this situation can happen, especially if you have cameras.  Aren't the players protecting their hands? Aren't the players flipping over their cards at showdown?  Didn't anyone at the table see those hands?  How can the dealer muck the hands so quickly so that none of the flipped hands can be seen by any other players at the table or the cameras?  Did the dealer just snatch the cards right out of both player's hands while they were holding them and about to turn them over??  Who is this crazy dealer???   ???
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 10:28:56 PM by K-Lo »

Nick C

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, 06:54:26 AM »
Based on the information given, which is very strange, I still think chopping is the best solution. The total breakdown of fundamental showdown procedures seems to have involved everyone at the table. The dealer; what in the hell was he thinking ??? The players vying for the pot not protecting their hands and (to some extent) the other players at the table ::) Oh yeah, let's not forget the cameras malfunctioning ::)

I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about this one because I don't think it will happen again.

Tristan

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 11:16:38 AM »
The dealer; what in the hell was he thinking ???

Why does the dealer have to be a "he" Nick?!?  :P
Tristan
@TristanWilberg on Twitter

Nick C

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 02:07:45 PM »
Tristan,

I learned long ago, when it comes to reprimand or criticism, it is best to never assume the fairer sex is guilty of anything. ;D

Seriously, unless the question specify's a female dealer, I will always use the male gender in my response.

If that's your only complaint, does that mean you agree with a split? If not, how do you rule?   

Tristan

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 04:24:03 PM »
Lol, not a complaint.  Just kidding around.  

I learned long ago, when it comes to reprimand or criticism, it is best to never assume the fairer sex is guilty of anything. ;D

Great point!

In all seriousness though, I don't see any other option than to split the pot.
Tristan
@TristanWilberg on Twitter