Author Topic: Showdown: Order of show, who must show, who can muck?  (Read 4058 times)

MikeB

• Administrator
  • TDA Member & Veteran Poster
Showdown: Order of show, who must show, who can muck?
« on: July 04, 2012, 05:24:38 PM »
The TDA received the following question which may be of interest to many members. We are re-publishing it here so the answers can benefit all:

*********************************************** [begin message]
Hi, the show-down's rule say that the player who made the last aggressive action in that betting round must show first, but it isn't clear what other players must make of they have a loosing hand. Can they muck their hole cards? Or must they show them? Even if there is no on the river and the first player show his hand that beat my hand, Can I muck? Or must I show it?

Thanks

*********************************************** [end message]
Your discussion on these important topics is most welcome...

Nick C

• http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
Re: Showdown: Order of show, who must show, who can muck?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 06:05:09 PM »
Current TDA rules only require all hands tabled at the showdown when the pot involves an all-in player. The current rule Asking to See a Hand is very vague and asking to see a hand is a privilege granted at the TD's discretion....Or exceptions could be made based on house policy.

It is very common for players to muck their hands at the showdown when they see a hand tabled that has them beat. However, the question is; if other players want to see the mucked hand, can they? This is where the above rules apply.

K-Lo

• @AskTheTD on Twitter
    • Ask the Tournament Director
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 06:39:48 PM »
In a non all-in showdown, if the player who is supposed to show first does show his cards as you say, any player who can't beat that hand can simply muck their hand without showing. 

Also, under current TDA Rules, if the player who showed then asks to see one of the mucked hands, he does not have the automatic right to see it anymore -- it is at the TD's discretion.

Nick C

• http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 07:39:47 PM »
K-Lo,

I think we agree.