POKER TOURNAMENT MANAGEMENT & PROMOTION BOARDS > Event structuring

Redraw management

<< < (2/2)

Guillaume Gleize:
Dear K-Lo

Thank you so much for that answer. It's not too long: it's absolutely helpfull for me who have to make decisions TODAY before meeting the Room managers TOMOROW. Usually I manage like you tourneys of 100 to 400 players with dealers. Sometime 1000 to 2000 players WITHOUT DEALERS and WITHOUT REDRAWS (special sponsored events). But it's the first time I will manage a 1000 players WITH DEALERS AND REDRAWS.

In this big answer I got my main answer: Whatever the method, someone will actually have to work in the chip room to ORGANISE the bags! I mean I feel better: there is no other "magic" way.

I also saw a 3rd solution in some room, close to your second one: At the end of Day 1 they randomly give tickets to each player with places & tables for the day 2. The players place it inside the bag and write the new table & place number on the bag. The dealers also write the new table & place on their dealer list. Advantages and problems are quite the same as your second solution but I'm tempted.

Another point for me: players from day 1A and 1C MUST be in day 2A and players from 1B & 1C MUST be in day 2B. But it's OK.

Let's make an exemple with this last method: Day 1A = 123 players left and day 1C = 138 left
End of day 1A: 123 players left = We give random tickets for 13 tables and keep the 7 extra tickets appart
End of day 1C: 138 players left = We give random the 7 extra tickets plus tickets for 14 other tables without 9 places #10

A few more brain work for the TD but much less messy work in the chip room for the guys!
Also the redraw being done: the chip manager now only have to write the lists on the computer.

Your opinion? (If you have some time left for sure)

:)

K-Lo:
Hi GG:

I am a bit confused about the example.  Are you saying that all day 1A players will be assigned to the same 13 tables so all day 1A players will only be playing against each other?  If this is the case, I'm not a big fan of this since it is not very random.  There is a very good chance a player will be at the same table with players he had the benefit of playing with for an entire day, which is a huge advantage.  I would be more inclined to modify your example and make tickets for all 27 Day 2A tables at once, and then randomly distribute some of them at the end of day 1A and the rest at the end of day 1C.  

Don't underestimate the extra work that needs to be done by the TD if you use the pre-assigned tickets/receipts.  First, it will take time to get all of the tickets to each table at the end of the night, just when players are ready to go home.  Second, there is the issue of trying to accurately estimate how many tables you are collapsing to onto day 2A/day 2B.  What do you do if you plan for too few tables, and run out of tickets to give away at the end of day 1C?  Because there turned out to be 160 players left after Day 1C and not 138 players, for example?  You can't (well I suppose you can but I don't think you should) play more levels on day 1C just to get the number down, so you may be stuck adding a new table full of only day 1C players... not a good result.  

Therefore, it is probably better to overestimate the number of tables and have a lot of extra tickets.  You will then end up with some full tables, and other tables that would potentially have to start very short-handed... so you should balance the tables before Day 2A starts.   For example, say you gave out tickets for 35 tables instead of 27.  Then suppose you ended up after Day 1C having extra players that you can move to fill up other tables and can close six tables... You can have new seat cards at the tables to be closed (corresponding to the vacant seats at the tables to which the players will move) or a list of the re-assignments, so when a player who was assigned to a seat at a table to be closed arrives, they can move right away to their new table.  Again a bit more work and player shuffling for the TD at the start of Day 2A and Day 2B, but then you don't have the huge bag sorting problem to deal with.

In general, I personally would prefer to mix everyone together at the end of day 1D to ensure a purely random draw, but I confess that this is a lot more work, perhaps not practical for an event of your magnitude. So, I can definitely see the logistical advantages to giving pre-assigned seats at the end of each day, particularly for larger fields.

One last point - I generally prefer having a computer doing random redraws, but if you are going to use tickets, you need to make sure that they are really mixed up well before you give them out -- they may tend to clump together if you simply hand shuffle, and you don't want to have for example, three players from the same Day 1 table going to the same Day 2 table just because tickets were sticking together.

K

Uniden32:
We run several multiday events a month and found this method very effective:

We have a separate set of seating passes specifically for Day 2s.

When we bag a particular flight of a tournament, we randomly give out seating passes to the bagged players.  The bagging slip contains a place for their new table and seat.

With this method, we have to estimate how many tables we'll need at the start of the tournament, and there are times where I have to add a table or two for the last flight or break a table or two before I begin Day 2.

This method gives us the opportunity to post Day 2 Seating Assignments and chip counts online as well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version