Author Topic: binding or not?  (Read 18123 times)

Nick C

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
    • http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
Re: binding or not?
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2012, 07:42:45 AM »
Brian,

This is a cash game. Why would any player put $10 in the pot if they thought the bet was raised? It was obviously a misunderstanding. I tried to find something that might define the required amount to classify as a "gross" misunderstanding. That, of course, I was not able to find. I do think that $50 is a substantial amount to many, especially if the player thought he were calling a $10 bet. 

Brian Vickers

• Poker Manager
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2012, 11:50:12 AM »
I see no reason the rule should be any different in cash and tournament.  In a tournament if the blinds were 1000-2000, there was a raise to 10,000, then a re-raise to 50,000, and the small blind stuck out 10,000 he'd have to leave that in the pot or call the 50,000.  I see no reason to make a different ruling for the exact same scenario just because it's live or tournament. 

As Stuart said, it is the player's responsibility to stay abreast of the situation and if he's not there are consequences. 

Far fetched or unlikely as it sounds, what if it's an angle shoot?  The guy can say call and stick out $10 to try to get a reaction knowing that if he sees somehing he doesn't like he can just say "Oh I thought it was $10" and he gets his money.  If the other player doesn't look comfortable when he says call, then he can say "Oh it's $50?  OK, I'll call anyway". 

Nick C

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2012, 07:02:46 PM »
Far fetched, indeed! You guys are brutal ;D I hope your not the guy that raises to $50 (bluffing), hoping the guy doesn't call, and the floor comes over and forces him to call and beat your ass! You better stick to tournaments because it doesn't work that way in cash games.

Robert's Rules Version 11. Betting and Raising:
13. A player who bets or calls by releasing chips into the pot is bound by that action and must make the amount of the wager correct. (This also applies right before the showdown when putting chips into the pot causes the opponent to show the winning hand before the full amount needed to call has been put into the pot.) However, if you are unaware that the pot has been raised, you may withdraw that money and reconsider your action, provided that no one else has acted after you. At pot-limit or no-limit betting, if there is a gross misunderstanding concerning the amount of the wager, see Section 14, Rule 8

W0lfster

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2013, 04:18:47 AM »
Could we also consider the 50% rule with this situation? In this case it would stay at $10. However other if the SB had put in $30 or more without saying anything then hold him to the full amount no?

Nick C

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2013, 11:08:41 AM »
Wolf,

If he put another $30 on top of his $10 SB (total $40), of course he would have to complete the bet to $50.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 06:37:21 AM by Nick C »

Spence

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2015, 05:31:33 AM »
Could we also consider the 50% rule with this situation? In this case it would stay at $10. However other if the SB had put in $30 or more without saying anything then hold him to the full amount no?
To build on this what about a the player that didn't realize there had been a raise to $50 and calls "Raise to $40"? 
Is the raise binding? 
Is the $40 committed and he's still allowed to fold? 
Or does he have to make it a call at $50?
Thoughts?