Author Topic: smallest split pot increment  (Read 7200 times)

mooredog

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
smallest split pot increment
« on: January 27, 2012, 10:26:03 PM »
I know this spot is for tournament topics but it's where most stuff gets discussed and viewed so I'm putting it on here. Our cash games rake in one dollar increments with the exception of 7 card stud which rakes at 50 cent increments so occasionally 50 cent pieces get pushed in the pots. My question is in 7 stud/ 8 or better where bets can never be in 50 cent denominations (but dealers have them in their trays for rake purposes) if you have an odd numbered pot (say $81) to be split in a high low game, do you split the odd dollar into 50 cents each or push the odd $1 chip to the high hand? It's causing heated discussions among our dealers and supervisors. Some say split it up into 50 centers since some smaller pots have 50 cent pieces in them anyway and others say "No, because the smallest allowable betting unit is $1 therefore never split up your smallest betting unit". What do you think?

Nick C

• http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
Re: smallest split pot increment
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 08:10:01 AM »
I see nothing wrong with breaking it down to the 50 cent amount. Make a decision and stick to it. I have a feeling that your dealers might come out further ahead with those splits to the 50 cent piece. I think the rule should be splitting down to the lowest denomination used in your game.

chet

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 08:58:05 AM »
Agreed.  As long as you split rake, why not?

WSOPMcGee

• The R.O.P.E.
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 03:32:44 PM »
The answer to your question is: Make a rule in your procedures book and go with it.

However, if you want to follow Vegas norms, the procedure is: Split pots down to the lowest denomination in play, including denominations used for rake purposes, in rake games. In games in which TIME is paid by the players (ie, $5 per player per half hour), split pots down to the lowest chip denomination in play only.
@wsopmcgee on Twitter

Spence

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 04:53:18 PM »
Logically I would ask can a player be all-in for a half dollar? You said that 50c pieces get shipped out in pots. Obviously they are not used in standard betting, but in the case of an all-in could they potentially be all-in for $81.50? If so you would have to split down to the half dollar. If they can never bet that half dollar then there is no reason to chop the dollar in half.

chet

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 07:38:16 PM »
At my local Native American Poker Room, they started raking in 50 cent increments back a few months ago.  At that time they also put in a policy that odd 50 cent pieces cannot be part of a bet unless it is an all-in situation, in which case the player is required to include the odd 50 cent piece.

Sometimes, I think that place is run by both Dumb and Dumber.

mooredog

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2012, 10:23:54 PM »
In our room they can not bet the 50 centers with an all in or in any odd amount but can bet two at a time as a dollar. Some places you must color up before the hand is dealt but not here. The theory is that if you can color them up then why not use them in awarding split pots. I've dealt in big games with $100 chips as the smallest denominations, but with time rakes where we made change for the black chips for the rake which put green and red chips in front of players but they couldn't use them in any betting. Then no split pots with an odd $100 chip ever had the chips broken down. 50 cents is quite paltry in comparison but still the same situation.

K-Lo

• @AskTheTD on Twitter
    • Ask the Tournament Director
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2012, 03:17:38 AM »
Logically I would ask can a player be all-in for a half dollar? You said that 50c pieces get shipped out in pots. Obviously they are not used in standard betting, but in the case of an all-in could they potentially be all-in for $81.50? If so you would have to split down to the half dollar. If they can never bet that half dollar then there is no reason to chop the dollar in half.

I agree with Spence here.  The fact that you can color them up is not irrelevant IMO - until you have enough half-pieces to make up a $1, the half-pieces are not 'legal tender' at the table and thus have the same value as a scrap of paper.

Nick C

• http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2012, 06:29:04 AM »
If you are required to put your last half-a-buck into the pot when going all-in, then I think it should be split exactly in half...that includes splitting the extra dollar. Assuming the 50 cent pieces are used for all-in wagers, it is the most logical way to divide a pot, especially if it is being split between more than 2 players:
 Pot size: $31.50 to be divided among 3 players? $10.50 each or ?