Author Topic: Origin of the Kill Pot?  (Read 7564 times)

JasperToo

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
Origin of the Kill Pot?
« on: November 23, 2011, 01:11:52 AM »
I have asked around ablut this one and nobody seems to really know.  it may be one of those things that are unkowable.  But I would love to hear peoples thoughts.

What is the origin of the kill pot?  When did it come to be?

Does it mean that since the player has already won twice that now we are trying to "kill" his streak?

Does it mean that now it is a "Killer" pot because we have raised the price.

Does it just mean that player is "Killing" the game cause he is so lucky or good?

Nick C

• http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
Re: Origin of the Kill Pot?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 08:19:56 AM »
Jasper,

I don't know.

I do know that some cardrooms don't use the; "win two pots in a row" condition. At Seneca Niagara, in limit poker, the pot has to hit a certain amount (ten times the limit) before the "kill" goes into effect. If the game is Omaha, high-low...the pot must be "scooped" by one winner and the ten times the limit also must be reached.

Note: I have not heard of a Kill for any game other than limit poker.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 06:58:40 PM by Nick C »

K-Lo

• @AskTheTD on Twitter
    • Ask the Tournament Director
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 01:03:02 PM »
Speaking of unknown origins, I was wondering whether anyone knows of a source that describes why, in draw poker with respect to dealing procedures, the replacement cards are counted out face down and pushed to the player, rather than being pitched to the players like the initial cards were.  I think I have a pretty good of why this is, but I'm wondering whether something has been published that sets out why it came to be this way.

Nick C

• http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 01:25:49 PM »
K-lo,

My guess is because all players can clearly see how many cards are being "counted-out" before pushing them to the player. I would think it is a safer method, as opposed to pitching cards and counting as you pitch. Plus there is a much greater risk for exposing a pitched card. That's the way I see it. I actually started out playing draw poker and stud, long before hold'em.

As to it's origin, I don't know. My guess is, if you track down the first hands of draw poker you will probably find it was always done the same as it is today.