Author Topic: Who gets points and win?  (Read 9069 times)

guitrmn

• TDA Member
Who gets points and win?
« on: November 08, 2011, 07:59:11 AM »
Scenario:

Tournament, 2 players left heads-up. Both agree to chop the prize... :-\

Who gets the win?
Who gets the points?

P.S.

I don't necessarily like chopping in my tournaments and will always try to get the tourney come to a completion. Am I correct in the assumption that chip stacks would come into this decision?

Stuart Murray

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
Re: Who gets points and win?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 08:26:53 AM »
If it was a straight deal with no title/trophy to be won then the chip leader gets 1st etc, I had a tourney on Saturday where the 3 remaining players did a 100% pro rata deal, with the chip leader taking £190 more, 2nd £110 more and then 3rd in chips £0 more after they split £400 each, they then played on for the title of Regional Champion which was taken down by player 3 who took home the least amount of cash!!

I do prefer deals where they leave something, even £1 left to play for for the winner, that way it ensures a good conclusion.

Regards
Stu

Nick C

• http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 12:18:55 PM »
I've had experience with similar situations and it is always best when management stays as far away from condoning or acknowledging any chop. Players that agree can work that out on their own but the tournament should play out to the last player.

guitrmn

• TDA Member
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 01:50:52 PM »
Thank you both. I appreciate the answers to my questions.

I agree with you Nick C and again, I usually do not allow chops in my tournaments. This however was a tournament that I was only asked to attend, not direct.

To make matters worse, the heads-up players agreed to this chop and stood up without playing to a conclusion. We know at this point which one had the chip lead, so I'm only trying to settle an argument for the technical win/points.

Spence

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 04:42:37 PM »
We run a weekly league in my room that often goes late into the night and most players wish to chop rather than play it out. This causes issue with point allocation whcih can become pivotal near the completion of the 16 week event. I always encourage them to play everything out but considering I'm the one that has to do the points, I need a clear winner. Usually I will have the dealer run a dead hand jus to give me clear placement so that points can be allocated. I'm interested to here from Stuart and what he does in his league.

Stuart Murray

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 05:58:23 PM »
most of our games are in pubs/clubs, with set licencing hours, including poker, on the (very) rare occasion that I have had to call time on a game, I give them fair warning that there will be the last 3 hands in 5 mins, etc, then play last 3 hands, then allocate the positions based on finishing chips.  I've only ever had that happen twice from memory, in around 3 years of games, mostly because the structure I use is quite fast (15 minute clock with antes), and ensures that it allows plenty of play then not a lot of play late on.

With regard to a deal and splitting the pot, in your description I would just again base it on chip counts when they deal, but the way you do it sounds fine also!

Regards
Stuart

Spence

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 05:40:22 PM »
Thanks Stu!