Author Topic: unacceptable behaviors?  (Read 11364 times)

casacubana

• TDA Member & Active Poster
unacceptable behaviors?
« on: August 06, 2011, 07:59:13 AM »
hi everyone,

was asked to make a list of unacceptable behaviors from staff (dealers/floor/cashiers/waitress)any idea guys? thank you in advance

regards
laura
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 08:00:18 AM by casacubana »

Nick C

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
    • http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
Re: unacceptable behaviors?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 04:56:52 PM »
Laura,
 That's kind of an unusual request but, if you can give me a little time I think we can come up with something. I am real busy this weekend and don't have the time right now.
Nick C

chet

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 09:14:40 PM »
Laura:

Simple Answer -- Just make a list of EVERYTHING that pisses you off in a poker room.  Add to that list the local idiosyncrasies that are unacceptable where you are, but are acceptable in other places.  Remove the idiosyncrasies that are acceptable where you are but unacceptabel in other places.  You should have most of them.  

DO NOT INCLUDE Drunk Players UNLESS they are out of line.  Most of the time they are the food for the rest of us fishes  :)

Include players who berate the dealer, throw cards at either the dealer or another player (doesn't matter if they hit what they were aiming for, just throwing cards is, to quote Tony G, "One Your Bike" for the rest of that day at least.  Include in this group, the "Smelly Player" since that rule belongs in your house rules not in the TDA Rules.

Any player caught cheating, is OUT THE DOOR for at least a year if not permanently.

btw:  Players who don't tip, either the dealer or the wait staff, don't deserve an auto negative.  You need to look at the performance of the staff before making a negative call in that area.  Some employees just don't deserve it, most do.

etc., etc., etc.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 09:16:41 PM by chet »

casacubana

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 09:46:10 PM »
thank you chet for making me smile tonight  :D and of course waiting for nick to post everything that pisses him off ;D

regards
laura

Nick C

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 07:30:31 AM »
Laura,
 I like Chet's advice. If you are looking for answers pertaining to the employees of the card room, as opposed to the players, I will try to give you some answers.

I will start with the waitresses. They must be:
                    a.) Pleasent- even when they get stiffed by a player. So....they can't be grumpy, or miserable, or sarcastic, or solicit players.
                    b.) They must learn to observe the action before they approach the table. They must be sure that the player they are serving is not involved in a hand. This is important because it can disrupt a players train of thought, annoy some players, and result in "no toke."
                    c.) Don't keep player's waiting, only to receive a cold cup of coffee. So....They can't be too slow. They can't talk with their friends, or anyone until all of their drinks are delivered.
                    d.) If alcohol is served, know when a player has had enough. So.....they should alert others when a patron has had too much, (bartender, floorperson, or even security if necessary).
                    e.) Be fresh and well groomed. So...... Never be unclean. Never wear overpowering cologne.
                    f.) Smile and say thank you. Never bring personal "outside problems" to the patrons.
Cashiers, chip runners, other card room personnell:
                    a.) Be Friendly, and smile. So.....do not bring a bad attitude to the cardroom.
                    b.) Be efficient. Know all procedures and be an expert at chip/cheque handling. So....cage shortages are unacceptable.
                    c.) Be accurate. Never short-change any player. So.......a dishonest, tip hustler in your cage is unacceptable.
I will continue another time with the dealers and the floor. I have to go for now. I hope this gives you some answers you were looking for.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 04:08:11 PM by Nick C »

casacubana

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 08:02:09 AM »
wow thank you so much nick!that's exactly what i was looking for and looking forward to your input about "dealers & floor" unacceptable behaviors,thank you again

regards
laura

casacubana

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 01:24:08 PM »
Hi everyone,
I know it's unusual request this tread but any other suggestions will be very appreciated( specially dealers and floor)thank you in advance
Regards
Laura

Nick C

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 05:29:23 PM »
laura,

Unacceptable behavior for dealers:

HYGIENE:

a.) offensive body odor
           b.) overpowering cologne
           c.) wrinkled or soiled uniform
           d.) bad breath
           e.) dirty fingernails
 Procedures:
           a.) sloppy dealing
           b.) flashing cards
           c.) rolling the deck
           d.) premature dealing
           e.) failure to observe action
           f.) watching TV
The Never's
           a.) Never engage in unnecessary conversation
           b.) Never Stare at players. Avoid eye contact.To stare at a player is often mistaken as an indication that it is their turn to act.
           c.) Never address women in any derogatory manner; such as honey, sugar, sweety etc.
           d.) Never call any female "ma'am," young or old. Miss or young lady is better, and knowing their name is best.
           e.) Never point your finger at players. (use an open hand if you must point).
           f.)  Never forget to acknowledge a toke
           g.) Never criticize how a player plays their hand
           h.) Never disagree with any decision made by the floor. These should be discussed in private.
            i.) Never display anger at the table
            j.) Never chew gum
There are more but you are in a hurry so start with these.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 04:57:05 AM by Nick C »

chet

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 05:39:42 PM »
If your cardroom has televisions, Dealers AND Floorpersons should be reminded from time to time that those are for the enjoyment of the PLAYERS.  All too often I see dealers and floorpersons watching their local or favorite team and not paying attention to the needs of the table and room.  

Dealers especially should be instructed, and it should be enforced, that they are not the Social Center of the table.  They are there to deal and run the game not socialize and tell stories with the players, etc.  

Dealers should be pleasant and friendly, greet new players at the table, acknowledge tips, manage the game, etc., but other than that they should be seen and not heard.  As for this issue, Floorpersons should also be pleasant and friendly.  They should listen to player thoughts and comments and give the player the impression their ideas will be brought to management and considered.  They should NOT just dismiss player comments with comments such as "I'm running this room and this is how it is."

Dealers should count the tray while standing behind the current dealer so there isn't a delay in the game.

That's all I can think of for now.  I agree with Nick but would extend virtually every item on his list to Floorpersons as well.

casacubana

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2011, 08:37:31 PM »
thank you so much nick and chet! thank god my bosses did not meet you i would be without a job now :D you right i was little a bit in hurry for this kind of ideas(dealers/cashiers) i need for sure help with floor(not in hurry for those ;) thank you again for your huge help i won't forgeret
many many regards
laura (who can sleep better tonight)

Brian Vickers

• Poker Manager
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2011, 02:41:26 PM »
Nick's list is pretty comprehensive for dealers and most of this applies to floor people also.  I would also add discussing tips on the gaming floor, especiallly complaining about poor tips or getting stiffed. 
When I was still a dealer there was another dealer I was following in the rotation one night and all night he kept telling me who was tipping poorly at his table.  I kept trying to ignore him and use my body language to let him know that I didn't want to hear that kind of stuff, but he kept doing it.  Eventually at one table I tapped him out and he said "don't push any pots to seat 6, you're not gonna get a dime."  The player in seat 6 who apparently had sonic hearing then said "actually, he probably will but with your attitude I'm surprised you got any".
 :)

A year or so later after I became a supervisor, the same dealer was up near the supervisor podium which was just a few feet away from a live table and was complaing about how bad the tips were that night.  That ended up getting him put on chip runner duty for the rest of the night.   ;D