Author Topic: Who gets the first card dealt in heads-up play?  (Read 16373 times)

RobinK

• TDA Member & Active Poster
Who gets the first card dealt in heads-up play?
« on: July 18, 2011, 04:43:58 PM »
 Hi all,

In our card room the first card dealt goes always to SB, which means that in heads-up the BUTTON will get the first card and BB will get the second and so on.
   I have seen couple of TV events (including WSOP, WPT . . . . ) where the BB was dealt the 1st card and the SB(button) the 2nd.

I did not find in TDA rules the proper procedure, but maybe I have missed something. Could you please share your opinions on this. Thank you.

RK

chet

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
Re: Who gets the first card dealt in heads-up play?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 07:39:40 PM »
The player with the dealer button ALWAYS is dealt the LAST card and the player with the SB ALWAYS has the dealer button. 

Pre-flop, the BB is the first to act.  Post-flop the BB is the LAST to act.

Stuart Murray

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 07:47:35 PM »
Hi RobinK

Ditto Chet's response,

It got me thinking though I don't think I have ever saw a definitive explanation or rule for why it is done that way, the button gets the last card yes, but in heads-up I can understand why you were dealing the first hole card to the button as they are the small blind.

I checked RROP - nothing, FIDPA - nothing, my rules - nothing, all these rules only point to the button being small blind.  I guess it's another case of "you should know" the same way as the bring in after a big blind should be known.

Best Regards
Stuart

chet

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 08:25:32 PM »
Guys: 

You need to remember that the button is used to identify the designated DEALER, sometimes called the "Puck".  I know of NO form of poker where the dealer gets any card other than the last card dealt on each round, assuming no exposed card.

Since the "Dealer" always gets the last card, AND there are only two players, the BB MUST get the the first card.

Hope this helps!

Dave Lamb

• TDA Founding Member
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 09:25:59 PM »
Great answer, Chet. I have never seen a better or more concise explanation for why the SB is on the button.

Dave_The_Maori

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 10:47:02 PM »
Although I have no problem with what chet has said except for the last sentence of his first reply:

The player with the dealer button ALWAYS is dealt the LAST card and the player with the SB ALWAYS has the dealer button. 

Pre-flop, the BB is the first to act.  Post-flop the BB is the LAST to act.

Pre-flop, the BB is LAST to act. Post-flop the BB is FIRST to act.

Hope this helps :)

Nick C

• http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 01:44:37 AM »
Now is a good time to clear-up TDA Rule #26 BUTTON IN HEADS-UP. In heads-up play, the small blind is on the button and acts first (pre-flop). I think that pre-flop needs to be added.

The dealer always deals away from the button...so in heads-up, the first down card goes to the BB. Pre-flop the betting action begins with the SB (on the button), having first option of folding, calling the BB, or raising. After the flop, the first betting option begins as normal so, the Button is last to act on the last three betting rounds.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 01:47:30 AM by Nick C »

chet

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2011, 07:47:10 AM »
Dave is right, I got it exactly BACKWARDS when I said, "Pre-flop, the BB is the first to act.  Post-flop the BB is the LAST to act."  Must have been a Brain F(*&. :)

RobinK

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 01:06:30 PM »
Thanks for your answers.

All your explanations seems logic and therefore right. I will change our procedures accordingly.
There is a lot of wrong information posted on the internet such as:

http://www.learn-texas-holdem.com/questions/dealer-button-position-heads-up.htm

Regards

RK

Nick C

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 01:57:22 PM »
RobinK,
 I was a certified poker dealer instructor over 30 years ago in Las Vegas, and I still teach on-line. This is the first time I have ever read anything that supports the idea of dealing to the button first. I will stand by the only method I've every seen, and the only procedure for dealing heads-up that I've ever taught. Do it right, change what you've been doing and I will find some documentation for more confirmation.

Nick C

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2011, 04:16:15 AM »
RobinK,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Yd9mvgX-zs&feature=related

There's an awful lot of bad information on-line and in print, about procedures for poker. When you watch this video, notice the last card dealt will go to the button.
I think this is all you'll need.