Author Topic: A suspected exposed card during deal  (Read 6570 times)

Ricky9

• TDA Member & Active Poster
A suspected exposed card during deal
« on: July 20, 2011, 06:51:49 PM »
I had a situation a few days ago and I am unsure how it should have been handled.

On the deal, a player SAYS he has seen a players card and shouts to the table, "I think it's only fair that I saw that card so I will tell the table it is the 10c". Dealer called floor, says that no card had turned over but admitted he dealt quite sloppy.

I was prepared to exchange the card for the burn before any action had taken place and was going to expose the 10c for everyone to see. When I peeked at players cards he is holding 2 red aces?

What should I have done? What do I do now?

Spence

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
Re: A suspected exposed card during deal
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 07:15:09 PM »
I'd like to know what you did do. It's obvious that you can't switch out a card that the player doesn't have. I would first make sure that it wasn't one of the players to the left or right of the player holding aces who had a flashed card then do they same. Check to see if that player had a 10c and if not continue without incident.

Ricky9

• TDA Member & Active Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 07:26:24 PM »
I didn't want to check the other players seated next to him (although I did think for a second) because i thought it may make the hand a farce.
Although I didn't say what I was going to do to the table it was quite clear that it was my intention to expose and exchange.
All I felt I could do, was to say continue the hand.
BUT now the table knows what card he hasn't got (though no fault of that player)

Do I penalize the player who shouted, usually a true gent?

btw the 10c came on the turn

Stuart Murray

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 08:10:21 PM »
I think you did the right thing, inspecting the hand was ok too, and then continue.  I really don't see what else you can do, you want the hand to play out irrespective of whether he has two red aces or 7 2 off, so checking if he has it and swapping the 10c if he does seems reasonable.

Regards
Stuart

Brian Vickers

• Poker Manager
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 07:47:17 AM »
This is a tough spot because we want to protect that player, and by inspecting his hand and saying "nope he doesn't have a 10" it could affect how he can play his hand.  For instance, should the flop come 10-10-5 or something like it now he can't represent the 10. 
Now in this instance (with two aces) I'm sure he won't be worried about representing a 10, but we don't want to have to make that determination.
I have told dealers that if they suspect a card might have been exposed on the deal, take the cautionary measure and switch it with a burn card so that we protect that player from someone knowing his hole card.  In this case where the dealer didn't see it, I'm ok with inspecting the hand and it could very well be the best option, as other options aren't great either. 
I'm starting to lean towards just saying "player in seat 5 believes he may have seen the 10 of clubs in this player's hand" and letting the card stand, since the dealer didn't think the card flashed and no one else spoke up.  IDK, tough spot gotta think about it more.

Nick C

• http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 11:33:37 AM »
This is a situation that we rarely face because most players will not say anything if they catch a glimpse of an opponents card. Unless the card is clearly exposed, I would not do anything. There was a situation on another thread that was similar to this. I said that most of the time, players are wrong when they think they see a card. As floorperson's, I don't like looking at the card, for all of the reasons mentioned. Just let it go. Have a talk with the dealer, and make sure the cards are not flashed again.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 08:12:30 AM by Nick C »