Author Topic: fold out of turn penalty  (Read 8720 times)

mooredog

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
fold out of turn penalty
« on: July 06, 2011, 07:51:31 PM »
In the 50k player's championship there was a bit of controversy when Minh Ly folded out of turn making it easier for the in turn player to call an all in knowing he didn't have to worry about a bigger bet to face.  The TD ruled it an accident therefore no penalty (a warning was given). What is the normal penalty for folding out of turn in a big tournament? One hand, or one button orbit?

Dave Lamb

• TDA Founding Member
Re: fold out of turn penalty
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 08:17:59 PM »
One hand penalty for the first offense. A round for the second...

Nick C

• http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 08:29:21 PM »
Mooredog,
 If you ask me that's a pretty serious infraction. there's a new rule out there that starts like this.......poker is a game of observation......(I think this statement fits a situation like this better than the rule it was intended for).......so pay attention. Based on the limit of the game being played, we should assume that the players are competent enough to know when it is their turn to bet. After a warning, a second offense could draw a one button orbit, or more, depending on the number of players. While I was writing this post, Dave Lamb wrote that he would give a one hand penalty along with the warning. I like that even better than a warning alone.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 10:06:27 PM by Nick C »

Stuart Murray

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 06:49:06 AM »
Hi there,

It really depends on the situation and the level of the game, if it was deemed 'serious' enough as a first infraction that it changed the outcome of the tournament, then yes I would go straight to a one round penalty.  Otherwise I would usually issue a warning or a single missed hand penalty as a first violation response.

Regards
Stuart

JasperToo

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 08:25:52 AM »
While playing a tournament at Caesar's this last trip a player left his hand pushed forward and got up from the table.  The TD stopped him before he got out of the room and explained that he was being given a 3 hand penalty.  The player didn't kick up much of a fuss but it seemed a little strict for a first offense (well, as far as I knew it was his first offense but he had been at my table all along).

I would have gone with a warning for that one I think.  But perhaps the thinking is if you are strict the first time you won't have to watch for the second.  Especially with a large field of players.